AmalgaNation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AmalgaNation

A Forum For Fans of All Audio-Visual Media

Members are requested to always regularly check the "Announcements" Section.
An IRC webchat has been placed at the bottom of the portal page. Type in a name and enter. This way, you do not need a IRC client, just open the portal page. No logging into forum account needed.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Three Idiots...

+5
Arr0wHeaD
MayFlower
kyo
Omkar
Ankita
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Three Idiots... Empty Three Idiots... Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:15 pm

Ankita

Uprising Member
Uprising Member

'Give me some sunshine, give me some rains, give me another chance, i wanna grow up once again!!!'
I totally hope that you all have checked out the movie by now. So no going into narrating the plot. Still if some sinner is yet to check it out and wants to know what the story is all about, let wiki be your guide-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_Idiots
The movie is an out and out entertainer. The base idea comes from Chetan Bhagat's wildly famous novel 'Five Point Someone', the story revolves around three friends Rancho (Aamir Khan/ Ryan going by the book), Raju (Sharman Joshi/ Alok) and Farhan (R. Madhavan/ Hari) and their life in Imperial College of Engineering, one of the finest institutions in the country. Rancho, who advocates the philosophy of 'Aal izz well' spends more time outside the class than inside it, gets drunk every next day and still tops his class. Raju and Farhan join him in all the fun but fail to join him in the academic ranks. Then there's the crazy, seven and a half minute power nap taking, never late Principal Professor Viru Sahastrabudhhe (aka ViruS) who labels Rancho and his friends an idiot, all thanks to Rancho's unconventional take on issues and his constant questioning of the prevailing educational system. And falling in love with the Prof's daughter doesn't really simplify things...
The movie is a good watch. Some incidents, like Joy Lobo's suicide, tug at your heart. Some, like Chatur's speech, make you roll on the floor with laughter. The movie has a right blend of drama, romance and comedy all combined to give you a message to follow your heart, to follow your dreams. My only complain is that the movie turns all predictable in the second half. Most importantly, the Bollywood essence of 'happily ever after' is a letdown. The movie is about the idiots, the underdogs. The underdogs turned champs is a little disappointing. But then yes, it gives us all hope... that all of us can make it big!!
Go check it out. And if you have seen it once, go see it again.
Rush to your nearest theatre. And if you don't get the tickets, pat your heart, say 'AAL IZZ WELL' out loud and check out the next theatre!!!

2Three Idiots... Empty Re: Three Idiots... Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:16 am

Omkar

Omkar

I saw it just a few hours ago and to sum it up in a single line- 'Raju Hirani has graduated from the Over-The-Top school of entertainment.' He's graduated with flying colors though, that's why he can make nice entertainers one would gladly watch for 'timepass' but there's not much to admire. So I beg to differ Ankita, this movie can be given a miss.

Secondly, I got a HUGE grouse against the filmmakers. A-holes, they didn't even give proper credit to Chetan Bhagat. In all his writing career, this one is an out-an-out best- almost all the CB readers will agree with me on this. While the movie is not 70% same as he claims, it is 50% similar, with characters, many incidents and in some cases dialogues too being directly taken from the novel. If not adapted, 3 Idiots is definitely inspired(B'wood's fav term) from the book. Observe any Goddamn Hollywood movie adapted/inspired from a book and you'll always see the name of the book and author shown even before the movie begins. But these tight-asses are so stuck up, they label CB as a mere publicity seeker.

I know the golden rule of never comparing a movie with its book but just because this controversy has come up, let me tell you, the book is far far better(and realistic) than the movie.

http://creativelyfertile.blogspot.com/

3Three Idiots... Empty Re: Three Idiots... Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:49 pm

Ankita

Uprising Member
Uprising Member

@Omkar You are being really sore on the issue of the due credit that CB deserves but is not being given. I agree with you on that count. But hey, the movie is pretty good. The five point somethings turning into five point someones is missing in the movie cuz they end up being a 'ten point someones'!! But nonetheless, don't listen to bitter Omi... go check out the movie!!!

4Three Idiots... Empty Re: Three Idiots... Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:40 pm

kyo

kyo

They botched the 2nd half but this was a solid entertainer.... I think they just wanted to make the movie more commercial.... 2nd half had all of the cliches (baby+marriage+ending scenes) and typical Bollywood masala whereas the 1st half was tight... Cant say much about the CB controversy.... but I have a gut feeling that it might just be a well orchestrated publicity stunt... sales for the book have supposedly shot through the roof following the outbursts by CB.... not to mention a lot of people have been motivated to watch the movie....

5Three Idiots... Empty Re: Three Idiots... Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:07 pm

MayFlower

MayFlower

Ghajini had been a solid disappointment last year so I was expecting more from this Aamir Khan-starrer.But the Bollywood masala overdose kills the effect that Five Point Someone was able to produce.
Too many unrealistic scenes and too much melodrama...Making a vacuum cup out of a vacuum cleaner might be possible but not while a pregnant lady is howling in the background. >_>
Aamir Khan was fabulous in the movie though..as usual.So was Boman Irani.
Sharman and Madhavan were able to put up decent supporting performances.

@Omkar:Vidhu Vinod Chopra had already bought the rights of the movie from Bhagat on the condition that the story would be modified according to need.And I'm sure before the release CB had already seen the movie and given the makers the green signal...so what's with all the noise after it is declared a hit?
Bhagat is publicity hungry alright.

http://musingsofamaiden.blogspot.com/

6Three Idiots... Empty Re: Three Idiots... Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:13 pm

Ankita

Uprising Member
Uprising Member

@May: I don't think CB is 'publicity hungry'... Everyone knows 3i is from FPS... And CB is enough famous already. Like him or hate him, you cant ignore him. He's not some fresh new writer out there to earn a quick buck. And he's too popular to resort to cheap publicity stunts. So all in all, no matter what, CB deserves hat he is asking for!!

7Three Idiots... Empty Re: Three Idiots... Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:06 am

I hate what they did to Aamir's character.. they made him into some god-like creature who is always right, can do no wrong and is completely flawless. Barely studying and topping in his 4th year? That killed it for me.

8Three Idiots... Empty Re: Three Idiots... Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:03 am

Arr0wHeaD

Arr0wHeaD
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

I watched the 1st half of 3 idiots (1.5 idiots maybe?)
Will watch the second half in the evening, when I have access to dad's laptop (I don't have a DVD drive Sad )

I suppose it was alright.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

https://amalganation.forumotion.net

9Three Idiots... Empty Re: Three Idiots... Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:52 am

clonic

INACTIVE MEMBER!
INACTIVE MEMBER!

Hated this movie. Madhavan, Kareena, Omi, and Boman were all alright. Aamir Khan never looked like a college student and his performance was disappointing. Sharman Joshi can't act. Chetan Bhagat should have gotten more credit. The movie was obviously inspired by the book, and they even blatantly lifted a bunch of dialogue from it.

Poor Chatur. He farts a lot. He pisses a lot. He is a coward. He is selfish. And we are supposed to laugh when the two jerks Rancho and Farhan play that stupid prank on him to show us just how stupid memorizing it. Really, Rancho? Do you think an immigrant from Uganda who went to high-school in Vizag(?) should try to be fluent in Hindi while also learning engineering at the same time? Really? Poor Chatur. Always the butt of cheap jokes.

And I'm not really sure where all the "screw the system" stuff is apart from the machine scene which is hilarious because Rancho really shouldn't be topping if he was such a rebel and wrote his own definitions. Any other Dean would probably have granted a Joy Lobo an extension in his circumstances. Raju is put in the predicament he is in because of his own stupidity and the Dean. They only have to blame themselves for the expulsion. Damn, what a bad system.

3/10

10Three Idiots... Empty Re: Three Idiots... Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:31 am

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

movie is kinda ok
far better then the other hindi ones and tons better than avatar
only ting bad bout the movie is kareena kapoor

11Three Idiots... Empty Re: Three Idiots... Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:37 pm

BloodAlchemist

BloodAlchemist
Uprising Member
Uprising Member

at first I liked this movie........but with time my perception changed. Now I believe this is one of the most misleading movies made in recent times!!

12Three Idiots... Empty Re: Three Idiots... Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:29 am

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

a lil misleading

13Three Idiots... Empty Re: Three Idiots... Mon May 09, 2011 11:19 pm

BloodAlchemist

BloodAlchemist
Uprising Member
Uprising Member

nah, I've had it for hindi films...except the rare arty one..[although i rarely see any hindi films at all]

if they wanted this film to be an entertainer, then they succeeded fully. otherwise, this film has nothing to offer. all the Aamir-gyaan is really just a rant against a system that they themselves dont understand. the problems of society that the film highlights, goes far beyond the childish treatment given to it...

I fully second the comments made by the Guest and clonic...

an irrelevant and illogical film..

14Three Idiots... Empty Re: Three Idiots... Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:01 pm

p0laris

p0laris
Uprising Member
Uprising Member

i like'd it it was diffrent from the usually Indian plot

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum