AmalgaNation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AmalgaNation

A Forum For Fans of All Audio-Visual Media

Members are requested to always regularly check the "Announcements" Section.
An IRC webchat has been placed at the bottom of the portal page. Type in a name and enter. This way, you do not need a IRC client, just open the portal page. No logging into forum account needed.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The darker side of Arab-Asia

+2
kyo
Omkar
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The darker side of Arab-Asia Empty The darker side of Arab-Asia Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:58 am

Omkar

Omkar

The darker side of Asia- Arab

Arab. The glorious place where the religion of Islam was born. The home to the holy land of Mecca where Muslims all over the world pine to touch their feet at least once in their lifetime. The same place that is a paradise due to all the oil reserves is a living hell for millions. To be polite- well, almost.

Now we all know that the Arab countries i.e. the countries in west Asia and east Africa adjoining the Red sea mainly comprise of religious fanatics. While many may want to liken the unjust practices to brainwashing and illiteracy, the fact goes that the literacy rate is actually high in these countries. Take the example of one of the most prosperous and strict country- Saudi Arabia. It has 84% male and 70% female literacy. In spite of all the overtly hunky dory feel, shit happens. Lets take a look at the main problems plaguing the oppressed class- women and deviant-sexuals here.

Female Genital Mutilation (FGM):

One of the problems, better call it sins, I came across while researching for this article was that of FGM. As the term suggests, the FGM concerns the removal of external female genitalia for cultural, religious or non therapeutic reasons. To put it in simple terms, screw with the vagina because religion says so, while not caring about the health and consequences of women. It is generally performed in the childhood. One main reason is to deprive women of sexual pleasure. In countries like Sudan and Egypt, this practice is almost 100% prevalent.
The picture I put up may be disturbing, but that's just to give you an idea how gruesome the practice is-

Spoiler:

The FGM has been foolishly described to be for hygienic purposes when the fact goes that it causes many a urinary and reproductive tract infections, infertility and complications during birth. Another ludicrous reason cited is it supposedly cures psychological diseases like kleptomania (neurosis of stealing), insanity and hysteria. There was a point when it was justified as that would make the females not able to masturbate and thus remaining unpolluted. Kurdish advocates of FGM justify it by propounding that it makes a girl spiritually clean so that others can eat the meals she prepares. In some places, FGC has been prohibited which has only led it to go underground. In such cases, this is conducted by non professionals who perform it without anesthesia or sterilization, sometimes not even using surgical instruments.

Woman’s rights, or the lack of it:

Women in Arab are like gold fish in a pot, except that they don’t have a memory of less than 10 seconds. Discrimination almost effectively a part of curriculum. Males and females have separate gender specific educational institutions. A woman can’t teach in a male university and vice versa. The schools have gender specific curriculum too. While those of men concentrate on physical and technical skills, the women are taught to brace for the future that is of a housewife and a mother. Higher education also involves gender segregation. Women are excluded from studying engineering, pharmacy, architecture, law and other subjects that are officially to be reserved for men.

Child Marriage is legally allowed and there have been instances where a child as young as 8 were married off and when divorce was sought, it was held off by saying that it could be filed only after the girl attaining puberty. According to Saudi law, intercourse wasn’t permitted till the age of 9 but kissing, rubbing amongst other activities involving foreplay amounted to no objection, thus in a way encouraging pedophilia. What’s more- polygamy is legal too and a man is allowed to carry up to 4 wives (There are, of course, exceptions). A woman has no right to have any say in her own marriage.

It is important to note that many countries have not recognized a women’s right to vote and stand for elections. These include Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Oman.

Women’s mobility is strongly limited in Saudi Arabia. They are not supposed to leave their houses or their local neighborhood without the company of their mahram (close male relative), nor shall they be in contact with unrelated males. Furthermore, mosques, most ministries and public streets are reserved for men. Similarly, women do not have access to most of the parks, museums and libraries.

Domestic violence is almost a petty incident. There are no laws addressing it. What is propounded here is the girl is an ‘honor’ to the man and it’s the duty of the man to protect his ‘honor’. In pursuit of this protection, the man is allowed to ‘discipline’ the lady. ‘Honor killings’ over reasons like bringing shame to the family name are therefore not an eye-brow raiser.

Qatif girl rape case:

Some of you must be familiar with the incident that still gives feminists a chill in their spine- an 18 year old Qatif girl, a province of Saudi Arabia, being gang raped by locals. It so happened that the girl was blackmailed into meeting a man whom she had shared only phone relations with. The two of them were travelling in a car when the locals discovered that the girl was travelling with a man she was not related to. Seven of them stalled the car, dragged her out and rape her successively. As the victim herself puts in a heart tugging account,
They took me out to a dark area and forced me to take off my clothes. The first man with the knife raped me. He destroyed me. I thought about running away but where could I go to looking like this? Another man came in and did the same. I was about to faint. For more than two hours I asked them to leave me alone, I begged them. The third man was violent and the fourth almost strangled me. The fifth and sixth were even more brutal. When the seventh man finished I couldn't feel myself anymore. He was so fat I couldn't breathe. Then they all did it again. When they dropped me home I couldn't walk, my mom opened the door and said I looked sick. I couldn't tell anyone and for a whole week I couldn't eat, but later I went to the hospital.

But oh no, the story doesn’t end there. The girl was sentenced to 50 lashes herself for ‘being with a man she wasn’t related to’, which is a crime according to Saudi laws. Moreover, the culprits were awarded sentences ranging only from 2-9 years which is shocking considering that the stringent laws grant the rape offender a death sentence. The license of the lawyer fighting the case for the victim was suspended for approaching the media and ‘contempt of court’ which is just another way of saying being sensible and holding his ground.

Right for Privacy:

Right for Privacy is not recognized by the government. So they can anytime intrude in your personal space, search homes, business place, tap your communication and censor the content they find objectionable. The Bloggers over the world are incensed over the censorship of Arab bloggers.

Mutaween:

We, in spite of being moderates, have our own notorious Shri Ram Sene so how can Arab be left behind? In fact they are miles ahead of us as far as ‘preserving morality’ is concerned. They have Mutaween, a government recognized body of religious police. The powers of Mutaween include arresting members of opposite sex not related to each other socializing, banning prostitution and homosexuality,enforcing Islamic dress codes amongst others.

The Mutaweens have been panned on a large scale for flogging the violators, banning of Valentine’s day, arresting priests for performing Mass and for comprising of, as it is put, “ex-convicts whose only job qualification was that they had memorized the Quran in order to reduce their sentences.”

The most enraging time came when the Mutaweens prohibited schoolgirls from escaping a burning school just because they weren’t wearing headscarves. 15 girls were burnt alive while over 50 were injured in this incident.

LGBT Rights:

Nope, nothing.

There is no representation for these rights in the Arab world. These ‘acts’ are supposed to be immoral and hence are criminalized.

Concluding, there’s a dark, sadist dimension of the world where murkiness and sadism form the culture. A bunch of pre-historic beliefs rule, enlightenment is curbed and reasoning is frowned upon.
Indeed, it’s a unpleasantly quirky life out there.

Last edited by omkardaone on Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://creativelyfertile.blogspot.com/

2The darker side of Arab-Asia Empty Re: The darker side of Arab-Asia Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:29 am

kyo

kyo

Welcome to the real world my friend... and theres another glaring example of the USA's double standards in action... Why not enforce their brand of democracy and freedom there huh? OOps... I forgot.... they supply you with oil and buy your weapons... keep your economy rolling along...

3The darker side of Arab-Asia Empty Re: The darker side of Arab-Asia Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:15 am

Red

Red
Complete Douchebag!
Complete Douchebag!

UGH!
This thread ruined my day!
I'm... I feel sick...
I feel like puking.

I couldn't read after the Quatif-case. It's sickening.

Thank you Omka-*vomits*...

EDIT: Will never post in this thread. Ever!

Last edited by Red on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : You don't wanna know!)

4The darker side of Arab-Asia Empty Re: The darker side of Arab-Asia Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:08 pm

MayFlower

MayFlower

Red wrote:
UGH!
This thread ruined my day!
I'm... I feel sick...
I feel like puking.

I couldn't read after the Quatif-case. It's sickening.

Thank you Omka-*vomits*...

Same here Red.But it's not like we haven't heard any of this
before...the Quatif rape case details showed up in the newspapers quite
frequently at a time.

Let me add something else to this discussion...in some Muslim
countries(especially Afghanistan) women are locked up for a few days
when they are having their periods.A menstruating woman is considered
impure and hence barred from sharing the same rooms as the other
members of her family.

Not only that...during this time she isn't allowed to venture outside and even forced to defaecate and urinate inside her 'cell'....somebody brings her
food and other necessities every day.In other words she is treated just
like a jail inmate at a time when she is not well and needs care and
attention the most.

http://musingsofamaiden.blogspot.com/

5The darker side of Arab-Asia Empty Re: The darker side of Arab-Asia Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:23 pm

Omkar

Omkar

MayFlower wrote:

Let me add something else to this discussion...in some Muslim
countries(especially Afghanistan) women are locked up for a few days
when they are having their periods.A menstruating woman is considered
impure and hence barred from sharing the same rooms as the other
members of her family.

Not only that...during this time she isn't allowed to venture outside and even forced to defaecate and urinate inside her 'cell'....somebody brings her
food and other necessities every day.In other words she is treated just
like a jail inmate at a time when she is not well and needs care and
attention the most.

So true. But this practice is not limited to just Islam. Among the Jews, when a woman menstruated, they did not dine with her, nor did they live with them in their houses.
Recently, I came across this article talking about the making of female 'muftis' i.e. religious advisors. Now this is a significant progress for the Musim women who have been repressed since last 1400 years. This revolution is brought about coz many a time, women feel uncomfortable in asking males about their personal problems, especially those regarding to their health. One of the query asked was if women can be allowed to pray or sit through the recitation of Quran during her periods. The answer, even from the female muftis, came- "Yes, but you are not allowed to touch the Quran."
scratch Apne hi pairon pe kulhadi maar rahe ho yaar.

http://creativelyfertile.blogspot.com/

6The darker side of Arab-Asia Empty Re: The darker side of Arab-Asia Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:14 am

kyo

kyo

I think that this practice of considering menstruating women as 'impure' is prevalent in Hindu culture as well... but perhaps not to the extent described in May chans post.

7The darker side of Arab-Asia Empty Re: The darker side of Arab-Asia Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:16 pm

MayFlower

MayFlower

kyo wrote:I think that this practice of considering menstruating women as 'impure' is prevalent in Hindu culture as well... but perhaps not to the extent described in May chans post.

Tell me about it kyo!
The only puja that's performed in our household is of Goddess Saraswati...and that too without a purohit(since mom doesn't believe in the bullshit that we need a 'medium' to communicate with God)
Yea it's me who does the honors.
But this year I couldn't since I was well er 'ill' at the time....my grandmom vehemently protested and had her way in the end.
Nobody wants to mess with an old lady and her beliefs.

Ironic isn't it?Menstruation is a natural biological process which just goes to prove you are a normal healthy female capable of giving birth or in other words creating life..
Wasn't that part of God's plans too?
Then why the hell is a woman not allowed to be anywhere near God in such a condition?

@Omkar:In most Islamic countries women have been oppressed and trampled upon for so long that they themselves are unaware of how much they should demand..how much freedom they should be granted.
Pitiable to say the least.

http://musingsofamaiden.blogspot.com/

8The darker side of Arab-Asia Empty Re: The darker side of Arab-Asia Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:12 am

kyo

kyo

It happens in my home too when my mother and sister are sometimes not allowed to do certain things... but its really not as bad as being locked up in a room...

I have never bothered to find out WHY this happens... and being a guy... I think people would consider me a pervert or degenerate of some kind if I tried to find out... but its probably some superstition which really has no basis... but... thats the way things are... for now...

9The darker side of Arab-Asia Empty Re: The darker side of Arab-Asia Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:54 am

Aceviper

Aceviper
Administrator
Administrator

MayFlower wrote:@Omkar:In most Islamic countries women have been oppressed and trampled upon for so long that they themselves are unaware of how much they should demand..how much freedom they should be granted.

Exactly what I was going to say. In Islamic culture, specially, or so I feel. Not being of Islamic culture, we believe otherwise, those OF this culture obviously wont. Anyways, Islam is a HEAVILY male dominated culture - I'd say, worse than our own Historic Hindu culture, and saying that is something, considering the atrocities and restrictions Hindu Brahmans used to place on women. Women HAVE been oppressed for so long, that they don't know what's their own right AND what's right for them. THIS is a situation where lack of sex education has hampered the growth of culture and society and today's youth laughs at the education system for introducing the subject - Ignorance is truly Bliss. Not, of course, for the women, (coming back to topic). Taking the example of the Burqua - seems to me like they have worn it for so long - that I don't think the reason they ORIGINALLY wore it for, even has grounds to stay on in today's age. I find small girls wearing it - at that age if you subjugate the child to wearing it, she won't even KNOW the reason as to why she is wearing it and even if she does, I doubt she'd be able to understand the significance and make her own thoughts on it - brain washing, rather than anything else, IMO.

kyo wrote:It happens in my home too when my mother and sister are sometimes not allowed to do certain things... but its really not as bad as being locked up in a room...
I have never bothered to find out WHY this happens... and being a guy... I think people would consider me a pervert or degenerate of some kind if I tried to find out... but its probably some superstition which really has no basis... but... thats the way things are... for now...

Dependant on Public views, eh? Pervert? I give a damn for people's views of me. If someone does something I can't bear, they get a piece of my mind, politely or maybe not - be it someone from my own family. Age doesn't give you rights to some things - specially things which I have been brought up to know are wrong.

10The darker side of Arab-Asia Empty Re: The darker side of Arab-Asia Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:26 pm

kyo

kyo

Angry young man huh? Well... go for it then... You see Ace.... when you are talking to someone who is...

a) Older than you
b) Is in a position to screw you over easily with no chance of retaliation
c) Does not give a damn what you think
d) Considers you a 'kid'
e) Owns all the keys to all the doors in your house

You dont really have much of a choice but to go along with what they say... or get summarily screwed over... The only time I will have a voice in my families decision making process is when I start to earn big enough bucks that I am able to afford to live on my own... until then... I am not much more than a bug under their thumbs... like it or not...

There have been incidents in the past where I have been subjected to treatment not too far removed from that of the Saudi women because of my standing up to my grandparents... worse still... it was my parents who administered said treatment even though I was speaking for them...

You are lucky to have been brought up in a household where you can afford not to care about who thinks what of you and where speaking your mind is not a sin.... even if you do not have the social and financial firepower to back it up...

11The darker side of Arab-Asia Empty Re: The darker side of Arab-Asia Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:49 pm

Aceviper

Aceviper
Administrator
Administrator

kyo wrote:You are lucky to have been brought up in a household where you can afford not to care about who thinks what of you and where speaking your mind is not a sin.... even if you do not have the social and financial firepower to back it up...

Well, yeah, my parent's have been a bit more open minded about certain things. They still reprimand me when I get these adrenaline rushes to speak with a bit more than required boldness...but still, yeah, I could be considered lucky in comparison.

(Coming back to topic) Nonetheless, even my example shows a restriction to the letters I have emboldened - I feel these other cultures go far beyond normal levels of understandable restriction. In our case, we could say, we will remain children in our parent's eyes forever, it is always they who give advice; even when we think we stand on our own, it's them at the back somewhere - that gives our situation reason enough for restrictions.

But restrictions on LIFE and your WILL are....*sigh* Our restrictions are meager in comparison.

12The darker side of Arab-Asia Empty Re: The darker side of Arab-Asia Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:47 pm

Ankita

Uprising Member
Uprising Member

I found out about FGM in my 8th standard in a copy of the outlook which consisted of a letter written by an African women who was circumcised as a child. before I comment on anything, here's a list of what all is included under FGM:
1. Cutting off of the clitoris
2. Cutting off of the clitoris and other parts of the genitalia
3. Sewing up the genitalia, leaving a tiny passage for urine and menstrual flow
4. Cutting off of all the genitalia and sewing of the genitalia leaving only a tiny passage for urine and menstrual flow
5. Pulling/extension of the labia
6. Inserting corrosive substances to add dryness to the vagina.
It is a ruthless practise generally attributed to the fact that women are supposed to be sexually docile and their only duty is to satisfy their husband. Moreover in the practice where the genitalia is sewed, the stitch is removed just before the wedding to facilitate copulation. Imagine getting screwed with a freshly removed stitch in a place where it hurts the most.
The most common reasons behind FGM is that among the Islam, they owe it to religious demands and among the Africans it is considered a rite of passage into adulthood. But this is all a guise since girls as young as four years of age have been subjected to FGM. Most importantly, to think that the practise is not prevalent in India is a pure illusion. I for once, happened to attend some 'religious ceremony' related to the friend of mine 'coming of age'. It was a merry party with a number of guests, but my friend was nowhere to be seen. Later in school, I found out that she had been circumcised.
The worst part is that most of the women readily accept it becuse it is a sign of their purity and virginity before marriage. By extension then it is assumed that both the girl and boy are happy for circumcision to take place. Marriages have been cancelled when the man discovers/learns that the girl is not circumcised. This practice only seems to benefit men who want to marry a virgin who is “tight” on their wedding night. Men are most reluctant to address this issue and mostly justify the practice by hiding behind culture and religion. So if both men and women by extension agree to this practice, then who is the one to protest?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum