AmalgaNation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AmalgaNation

A Forum For Fans of All Audio-Visual Media

Members are requested to always regularly check the "Announcements" Section.
An IRC webchat has been placed at the bottom of the portal page. Type in a name and enter. This way, you do not need a IRC client, just open the portal page. No logging into forum account needed.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Book Blast

+8
MayFlower
Red
Omkar
SaintExodia
Arr0wHeaD
Rukawa_Kaede
Jin
Aceviper
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

1Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Book Blast Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:15 pm

Aceviper

Aceviper
Administrator
Administrator

First topic message reminder :

Which book/books are you currently reading? Or about to read?

Here's my list:

Kane and Able- Jeffery Archer
Prodigal Daughter - same as above
Shall we tell the president - same as above
Quiver full of arrows - same as above
Prisoner of birth - same as above

Godfather - Mario Puzo

Prisoner Of Tehran-Marina Nemat
Mayada, Daughter of Iraq- Jean Sasson

Gargoyle - Andrew Davidson

Emma- Jane Austen

Heroes of the valley- Johnathon Stroud

Behemoth - Stephen Baxter

26Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:51 am

Omkar

Omkar

Rukawa_Kaede wrote:
Any suggestions for what i should read now??

AH! my job! tell me the genre that interests you. then i can recommend.

http://creativelyfertile.blogspot.com/

27Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:36 pm

MayFlower

MayFlower

Rukawa_Kaede wrote:I just finished reading Percy Jackson and Eclipse
Any suggestions for what i should read now??

If you're done with Eclipse then maybe you should read Breaking Dawn and finish off with the series already.

http://musingsofamaiden.blogspot.com/

28Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:31 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

Twilight
New moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn

never read these
suck lke hell

29Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:21 pm

Rukawa_Kaede

Rukawa_Kaede

Yeah I know.I'm not gonna read breaking dawn.Bella is M-A-D and W-E-I-R-D

Right now I'm reading "The Cry of the Icemark"by Stuart Hill

30Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:23 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

am readin a time to kill - john grisham

31Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:56 pm

Rukawa_Kaede

Rukawa_Kaede

Have you people read any Diana Wynne Jones books?She is A-W-E-S-O-M-E.She writes fantasy but she writes really really really really well.....You should read Howls Moving Castle!

32Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:02 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

ive seen the anime is it the same?

33Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:44 pm

Omkar

Omkar

just finished erich segal's OLIVER'S STORY, a sequel to his epic LOVE STORY. here's a quickie take on both novels-
LOVE STORY, a supposedly romantic-novel-to-swear-by is the most unromantic take on romance(yeah, i know twilight has changed your definition of romance. but we are talking of classical romance here) i won't get into the plot-most of you must already know it. if not, bury yourselves guys. anyway, this novel stands out due to its non-mushy, pacy, extrememly witty and tragic take on romance between the protagonists. this is not to say that they don't hold hands or make luhv instead of having sex. they do all these things but at no point of time do you feel 'ew, lame' or 'girly'. but somehow, you don't even feel like exclaiming 'aww, suh-weet'- maybe that's where i feel the novel lost out. but that's just my perspective. public opinion is its enormously sweet with a teary-eyed end. that is,
Spoiler:

i read this one about an year and a half ago and after getting depressed by all the dark stuff i was into recently, i developed an inclination to read the sequel.
i did.
i liked it- pretty much, that is.
it has the protagonist Oliver wanting to move on after the untimely demise of his love Jenny. a few intrusive, wanting-to-get-him-back-on-track friends get involved with oliver's messy state and try to set him up, only to fail. but one day he encounters a pretty damsel while on his jogging routine. they get talking and things develop in quite an unusual way. but oliver is psychologically not prepared, not ready to accept a blooming romance. he seeks psychiatric help but no avail.

pluses- like the prequel, even this has hilarious and clash of extreme quick wit among the protagonists. a salute to segal for his vocab, zany and simplistic weaving of plot, perfect angst creation and n making the book un-put-downable. the first 50 pages give you a big O(stands for the shape your lips form when you say wow)
minuses- somehow, it falls after that. just a wee bit though. but the initial humor is missing and the plot has got nothing to do with it. secondly the psychiatrist acts more like a listener than as a problem solving doc. till the end, he gives no possibly helpful suggestion. i was hoping a psychiatric explanation for the disappointing end but no luck there.
nevertheless, i liked it. and i've got Angels n Demons now(woo-hoo!) after waiting for ages. can't wait to dig back in it.

34Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:47 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

readin count of monte cristo again!
its too good!
and i think shawshank redemption is a vague rip off of this!

35Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:42 am

Red

Red
Complete Douchebag!
Complete Douchebag!

I LOVED THAT BOOK!
It's frikkin' CLASSIC!

The Count of Monte Cristo
In no other book have I seen such a killer portrayal of REVENGE! This could be because I don't read much. But I love this one book!
Simply AWESOME!
Gotta hand it to DUMBASS Dumas. Damn, the French really know how to write books.

36Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:45 pm

Omkar

Omkar

wow, that good? i thought classics are books everyone appreciates but nobody reads...

37Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:06 pm

Red

Red
Complete Douchebag!
Complete Douchebag!

Hell no!
This one's pretty kickass for a classic.

But I love Poe the best!
EDGAR ALAN POE is KING I tell you!

THE HOLY-frikkin'-EMPEROR!

38Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:58 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

dumas is martin scorcese of book writin!
wait its the other way round

39Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:17 pm

MayFlower

MayFlower

Edgar Allan Poe is good...some of his stories are pretty spooky if you ask me.
Anyway I finished reading another novel by Sarah Dessen..'Along For The Ride'-her very latest release to be precise.And the ride was quite fun-filled and pleasant if you ask me.
I know it's pointless to talk about it in a forum filled with erm boys(you guys don't read chicklit novels do you? Razz) but still thought I'd mention it....just in case any girl my age comes along for a visit. *sigh*

40Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:45 am

yuki

yuki

=.= not reading anythin' atm..the latest one i've read is The time traveller's wife.. o.o it was a weird story but yeah..it was good and i liked it Smile

41Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:57 pm

MayFlower

MayFlower

Ah I've been planning to read The Time Traveller's Wife for a long time now.But I've to put it off for the moment.
Coz I just got my hands on The Lost Symbol!Yayyyyy *dances in circles*

42Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:47 pm

yuki

yuki

MayFlower wrote:Ah I've been planning to read The Time Traveller's Wife for a long time now.But I've to put it off for the moment.

REALLY??!! =.= ...can u tell me how the story is wen u ve finished readin'? i'd love to read it but atm there's no time to read any books except physics/chem .. Book Blast - Page 2 Icon_cry

43Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:08 pm

MayFlower

MayFlower

yuki wrote:
MayFlower wrote:Ah I've been planning to read The Time Traveller's Wife for a long time now.But I've to put it off for the moment.

REALLY??!! =.= ...can u tell me how the story is wen u ve finished readin'? i'd love to read it but atm there's no time to read any books except physics/chem .. Book Blast - Page 2 Icon_cry

Lol why's that?exams on or something?
And I'll definitely let you know how I liked the book.But don't you think it's better if I don't give out any spoilers and ruin the fun for others?

And btw if ANYONE needs the e-book feel free to PM me with your email id. Smile

44Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:38 pm

Omkar

Omkar

MayFlower wrote:
And I'll definitely let you know how I liked the book.But don't you think it's better if I don't give out any spoilers and ruin the fun for others?
Phew! thank you! PM yuki the story and give a general no spoiler review here. make a separate thread for convenience.

MayFlower wrote: And btw if ANYONE needs the e-book feel free to PM me with your email id. Smile
you got its e-book? how can you read like 700 pages on a PC? i remember reading HP7 such and can't forget those despicable headaches n watering eyes.

45Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:05 pm

Ithil

Ithil
Uprising Member
Uprising Member

Trying to borrow the Bartimaeus trilogy off a colleague. Like I lack reading material otherwise. Smile Strangely reluctant to start Ursula Le Guin's The Lathe of Heaven.

46Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:10 pm

Aceviper

Aceviper
Administrator
Administrator

Bought Stephen King's "Dreamcatcher" for 100 bucks. Original book. Unbelievable, right? Now I need to read the book.

Need to finish the last Vampire Hunter D book that I have. And bought a parody on LOTR - Bored of the Rings. Parody on Tolkien's LOTR, but for 50 bucks and the sucker ripped me off, cuz the book was second hand and torn. >_< I didn't have time to argue and the guy was hard of hearing and barely even understood what I was saying, so there was no real point in arguing and wasting energy.

47Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:05 pm

Ithil

Ithil
Uprising Member
Uprising Member

50 bucks for a second-hand and torn parody definitely sounds like a ripoff. Was it the only one you bought? You get better deals for second-hand stuff if you buy in bulk.

48Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:33 pm

Aceviper

Aceviper
Administrator
Administrator

No. It was a huge sale. Around some 2000-3000 books in that place, huge variety. Many of those books are ones I've never even remotely heard of, and some which are so rare, I've never seen them anywhere.

Its an all year round "upto" 50%" off sale - the ONE AND ONLY place in Bombay where they have more than 40% of their books for a 50% discount. And forget the discount, he has like a huge table of original books all for 100 bucks. Irrespective of size and other parameters. If its on that table, its 100 bucks. Second hand ones are divided into the 50 buck table and the 25 buck table. One corner is dedicated to erotic novels. Quite unique, wouldn't you say?

49Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Mon May 17, 2010 5:43 pm

Rukawa_Kaede

Rukawa_Kaede

I'm reading Treasure Island, Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde and Kidnapped right now. R.L. Stevenson craze!!!
I've been trying to read Snow, Orhan Pamuk. TRYING

50Book Blast - Page 2 Empty Re: Book Blast Tue May 18, 2010 12:01 am

Detective_Ryukai

Detective_Ryukai

I've been reading all the books written by Jane Austin, though i realized, i could never finished Emma...I give up! Pride and Prejudice forever!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum