AmalgaNation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AmalgaNation

A Forum For Fans of All Audio-Visual Media

Members are requested to always regularly check the "Announcements" Section.
An IRC webchat has been placed at the bottom of the portal page. Type in a name and enter. This way, you do not need a IRC client, just open the portal page. No logging into forum account needed.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Book Blast

+8
MayFlower
Red
Omkar
SaintExodia
Arr0wHeaD
Rukawa_Kaede
Jin
Aceviper
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Book Blast Empty Book Blast Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:15 pm

Aceviper

Aceviper
Administrator
Administrator

Which book/books are you currently reading? Or about to read?

Here's my list:

Kane and Able- Jeffery Archer
Prodigal Daughter - same as above
Shall we tell the president - same as above
Quiver full of arrows - same as above
Prisoner of birth - same as above

Godfather - Mario Puzo

Prisoner Of Tehran-Marina Nemat
Mayada, Daughter of Iraq- Jean Sasson

Gargoyle - Andrew Davidson

Emma- Jane Austen

Heroes of the valley- Johnathon Stroud

Behemoth - Stephen Baxter

2Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:39 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

younus cengel
shames
beer n johnson

BLah!

apart from those

seven ancient wonders

jason cosmo
royal chaos
his dark materials trilogy
etc

3Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:22 pm

Rukawa_Kaede

Rukawa_Kaede

Well i just finished reading Twilight and New Moon i must admit I regret it...their not bad books...their very well written to tell the truth...Just that Romance isnt my type of book...
I also read The Host by the same author which isn't to bad(meaning it doesn't have THAT much romance)
I'm reading the Inkheart seires all over again I finished Inkheart today and aM plainning to start Inkspell after that and then the new book:Inkdeath.....I havent read it yet though....is it good?

4Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:59 pm

I read The Namesake a week ago.

That is all.

5Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:03 am

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

inkheart?
hmm saw the movie its ok
kid stuff

6Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:33 am

Arr0wHeaD

Arr0wHeaD
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Read 'The White Tiger' by Aravind Adiga a few months ago.- Incredible book, totally deserving of the booker prize. The process of development of the protagonist, from a simple village dude to an Independent minded (though Evil) person, is really worth reading.

After which I borrowed a whole load of books from Ace-

Artemis Fowl 2,3,4 and 5- Eoin Coifer- Smartly written, though targeted at readers under 18, It's got great humour and smart dialogue that makes it worth reading.

Golems Eye by Jonathan Stroud- As far as Fantasy books go, this one is very well researched, taking up rituals from the 17th century and using them extensively in the book to add a touch of realism. The main, anti hero Bartimaeus, is extremely well fleshed out...

https://amalganation.forumotion.net

7Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:39 am

Rukawa_Kaede

Rukawa_Kaede

Inkheart is kind of kiddish...yeah
And you can say Inkspell is also but theres a kiss in it
Thats my weak point they kiss I put the book down

8Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:04 pm

Oh yeah! The White Tiger rocks! Really cynical and gave me a headache after I finished, but still awesome!

9Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:06 pm

SaintExodia

SaintExodia
Uprising Member
Uprising Member

Arr0wHeaD wrote:

Golems Eye by Jonathan Stroud- As far as Fantasy books go, this one is very well researched, taking up rituals from the 17th century and using them extensively in the book to add a touch of realism. The main, anti hero Bartimaeus, is extremely well fleshed out...

Read the rest of the trilogy, you skipped right to book 2. Read The Amulet of Samarkand(Book 1) and Ptolemy's Gate (book 2). I wouldn't call it very realistic though. It's fiction through and through. But I loved Bartimaeus' witty comments and sense of humour. The last book leaves you sorta hollow inside when you finish it, like you've completed something you don't want to.

10Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:08 pm

I don't know how you people read so many books at once. Its like watching seven different movies at the same time.

11Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:18 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

Bagpipes wrote:I don't know how you people read so many books at once. Its like watching seven different movies at the same time.
well the topi cis are u reading now or about to read

12Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:20 pm

Rukawa_Kaede

Rukawa_Kaede

Actually I do get confused at times.....but most of the time its one book close breath in breath out another book

13Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:24 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

u really can read 7 books at a time?
What a Face

14Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:00 pm

Arr0wHeaD

Arr0wHeaD
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Oh crap, sorry. I wanted to say- I intend to read Golems Eye. I read Amulet Of Samarkand.

If you check out the ancient pagan rituals of spirit calling and stuff, you might notice that it's exactly the way he's described the calling of bartimaeus (Drawing sacred circles and shit) So even though it's not realistic, per se, it's a nice try.

Also, If I read many books, I always read one at a time. I can't start off one while I'm halfway through another.

Just finished 'Between The Assassinations' By aravind adiga. It's pretty good, in it's own way. Almost like a dark, corrupt, evil version of Malgudi Days.

15Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:30 pm

Aceviper

Aceviper
Administrator
Administrator

@ Sainty - Ptolemys Gate is the 3rd book. I think you made a typo mistake up there.

I finished:

Twilight (took me one day)
New moon (took me one day)
Eclipse (took me one day)
Breaking Dawn (took me two days)
(All by Stephenie Meyers)

About to finish:
Heroes of the Valley (Stroud again)

@ Rukawa - WOW! thats something.

16Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:57 pm

Arr0wHeaD

Arr0wHeaD
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Omkars N00b error post, I've saved it and put it here.

somebody actually 'liked' between the assasinations??? its one of the most depressing books in the recent times- more coz the incredibly accomplished and gifted author is turning up a pile of shit. a collection of like 10 different short stories- only max 2 i would give a thumbs up to. So much after the mind-blowing White Tiger. *sighs

Recently, i read erich segal's Doctors. If you are a wannabe writer, do yourself a favor- DON'T read it till you establish yourself in your own right. It will drive any1 to hav a giant inferiority complex. what vocab, what humor, what research, what emotional touch... in just one word- PURRFECT! the author is a genius.
sadly, again segal adiga-ed me. i tried his THE CLASS. its the degraded version of doctors. very similar storyline and you can draw many parallels in the incidents that take place.

Currently, i m busy gnawing at dan brown' DIGITAL FORTRESS. go for dan guys- he's one person to always bank upon. 150 pages later, i m just wondering why am i wasting my time writing here and not reading the rest. tell u what, i m gonna do that just now. Bbye

17Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:36 am

SaintExodia

SaintExodia
Uprising Member
Uprising Member

Aceviper wrote:@ Sainty - Ptolemys Gate is the 3rd book. I think you made a typo mistake up there.

No, I didn't.

SaintExodia wrote:.

Read the rest of the trilogy, you skipped right to book 2. Read The Amulet of Samarkand(Book 1) and Ptolemy's Gate (book 2).

18Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:14 pm

Omkar

Omkar

@ace- prisoner of death here too. finished 'the trial' part. pretty impressive. though nothing outstanding till now, thought the arguments put forth by both parties were delightful.
just finished digital fortress- another book exuding dan brown's genius, though a bit of let down after the monumental da vinci, but real good nevertheless. a roller coaster ride again, the author's trademark style- keeping 3 tracks running simultanously and abandoning for a short while the moment they reach the literary orgasm, is worth swearing by. the way he manipulates reader's faith in the protagonists and sometimes even the writer's intentions is something he would be a mentor for many wannabe novelists. i got the book for 30 bucks, and got 300 bucks' worth.

http://creativelyfertile.blogspot.com/

19Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:17 pm

Red

Red
Complete Douchebag!
Complete Douchebag!

30 for 300??? isn't that piracy?

anyways, i finally read a book after 3 years and it felt so good. damn.
"Catcher in the Rye" by JD Salinger. i like it too. so much so that im starting a Topic on it.

im planning to read "the Sphere" by Michael Crichton next.
i've also been wanting to get into the Robert Jordan's WHEEL OF TIME series. never had the time. but now i do. maybe i'll try it too... maybe.

20Book Blast Empty prisoner of book Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:29 pm

Omkar

Omkar

a long pending book review of PRISONER OF BIRTH. introduced to me by a friend as the best book he's ever read, all in a gushing way. an almost 500 page book is about a person wrongly convicted of murder by an influential criminal. the book's divided into 5 parts- trial, jail life, freedom, revenge and redemption. the concept- pretty good. the execution- disappointing.
you see, the author's treatment of the novel seems detached and clinical. like people interact with a person suffering from a contagious disease. 2nd fault- lack of good editor. dude, when u write a 500 page saga with the smallest possible font size, either you got to make it outstanding and crisp or take look at the delete button on ur keyboard. the way he's presented it, its like me keeping a daily account of how i wake up, observe the ceiling, find some patterns the leaking water has made in it for 10 min, then sit up, look outside the window, watch the birds idly for another 10 min, then go pee, stand there in that position long after im done...you get the gist don't you?
next- the author's questionable sense of humor or maybe my inability to understand his wisecracks(may i?). there are several instances when a person laughs at some dialogue by the other and i go " what's so funny in it?"
in the synopsis at the back, they grandly proclaim PREPARE FOR THE MOST UNEXPECTED ENDING THAT WILL SHOCK EVEN THE MOST ARDENT OF ARCHER FANS. all i would like to say is "yada yada."
all's not bad though. the thinking, the way the plot goes is really clever. the character of the convict's lawyer's father is what is the most memorable part of the book. and his jokes are understandable(phew!). its solely coz of this character that the book picks up in last 30 pages. but to reach to that point, you need great patience.
but i would want to give archer another chance. so what should i pick up next? ken and abel? hello aceviper...

http://creativelyfertile.blogspot.com/

21Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:15 pm

Arr0wHeaD

Arr0wHeaD
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Just read Part 2 of the bartimaeus trilogy, The Golems Eye...now I'm waiting for Ace to lend me part 3...

22Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:58 am

Aceviper

Aceviper
Administrator
Administrator

Come and get it. I have more than one book to give this time.

23Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:59 pm

MayFlower

MayFlower

I finished The Lost World by Crichton a coupla days back.Not as enthralling a ride as Jurassic Park but definitely worth a read nonetheless.I just wanted to read the book to find out how different it is from the movie actually.And it turned out that it is a LOT different from the Jeff Goldblum-Julianne Moore starrer.To be honest Conan Doyle's The Lost World was much better.
Now planning to read The Time-Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.

http://musingsofamaiden.blogspot.com/

24Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:58 pm

Rukawa_Kaede

Rukawa_Kaede

I just finished reading Percy Jackson and Eclipse
Any suggestions for what i should read now??

25Book Blast Empty Re: Book Blast Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:18 am

Red

Red
Complete Douchebag!
Complete Douchebag!

Rukawa_Kaede wrote:Any suggestions for what i should read now??

Chemistry text book. LOL

I don't know and I'm not one to recommend books but if you can, try any of the Discworld books from Terry Pratchett.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum