AmalgaNation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AmalgaNation

A Forum For Fans of All Audio-Visual Media

Members are requested to always regularly check the "Announcements" Section.
An IRC webchat has been placed at the bottom of the portal page. Type in a name and enter. This way, you do not need a IRC client, just open the portal page. No logging into forum account needed.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Robert Jordan

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Robert Jordan Empty Robert Jordan Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:17 pm

Aceviper

Aceviper
Administrator
Administrator

My favourite author right after JRR Tolkien. Even before Issac Asimov. Jordan ranks number two in my best Author list. Unfortunately he died after writing 12 books from the Wheel of Time Fantasy Epic series - leaving the Epic Story incomplete. Luckily, his Wife, asked another Author, for all of Mr. Jordan's fans, to continue the series and try to conclude the entire Eipc Story. Now, the last three books are going to be released and I BOUGHT THE FIRST OF THEM! The next two are gonna come out god knows when, BUT I GOT THIS ONE! AND I'VE BEEN WAITING TWO YEARS FOR IT!

Here's some wikinformation for you-->

Biography

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to 1970) with the United States Army as a helicopter gunner. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross with bronze oak leaf cluster, the Bronze Star with "V" and bronze oak leaf cluster, and two Vietnamese Gallantry Crosses with palm. After returning from Vietnam he attended The Citadel where he received an undergraduate degree in physics. After graduating he was employed by the United States Navy as a nuclear engineer.
He began writing in 1977. He was a history buff and enjoyed hunting,
fishing, sailing, poker, chess, pool, and pipe collecting. He described
himself as a "High Church" Episcopalian and received communion more than once a week. He lived with his wife Harriet McDougal, who works as a book editor (currently with Tor Books; she was also Jordan's editor) in a house built in 1797.

Illness

On March 23, 2006, Jordan disclosed in a statement that he had been diagnosed with cardiac amyloidosis, and that with treatment, his median life expectancy
was four years, though he said he intended to beat the statistics. He
later posted on his Dragonmount blog to encourage his fans not to worry
about him and that he intended to have a long and fully creative life,
working for another 30 years.
He began chemotherapy treatment at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota in early April 2006. Jordan was enrolled in a study using the drug Revlimid just approved for multiple myeloma but not yet tested on primary amyloidosis.
Jordan died at approximately 2:45 p.m. EDT on September 16, 2007, and a funeral service was held for him on Wednesday, September 19, 20 His life will be the subject of the feature length documentary The Wit of the Staircase: The Life and Works of Robert Jordan. Jordan was cremated and his ashes buried at an Episcopal church plot outside Charleston.

Jordan published eleven books of a projected twelve total in the
main sequence of the Wheel of Time series. Reviewers and fans of the
earlier books noted a slowing of the pace of events in the last few
installments due to the expansion of scale of the series as a whole.Due to his health problems, Jordan did not work at full force on the final installment A Memory of Light (later split into three volumes beginning with The Gathering Storm),
but blog entries confirmed that he continued work on it until his
death, and he shared all of the significant plot details with his
family not long before he died. He maintained that in doing so the book will get published even if "the worst actually happens". On December 7, 2007 Tor Books announced that Brandon Sanderson had been chosen to finish the Wheel of Time series. Jordan's widow chose him after reading Mistborn: The Final Empire
The Wheel of Time series consists of:

1. The Eye of the World (15 January 1990)
  2. The Great Hunt (15 November 1990)
  3. The Dragon Reborn (15 October 1991)
  4. The Shadow Rising (15 September 1992)
  5. The Fires of Heaven (15 October 1993)
  6. Lord of Chaos (15 October 1994) -- Locus Award nominee, 1995[15]
  7. A Crown of Swords (15 May 1996)
  8. The Path of Daggers (20 October 1998)
  9. Winter's Heart (9 November 2000)
  10. Crossroads of Twilight (7 January 2003)
  11. Knife of Dreams (11 October 2005)
  12. The Gathering Storm (27 October 2009)
  13. Towers of Midnight
  14. A Memory of Light
The 13th and 14th have yet to be written. I got the 12th book yesterday, and I've already finished reading half of it. I have the ebook to his other 12 books in the following link-->>

Robert Jordan Jordan_Robert_-_Wheel_of_Time__Complete_Works_13_Books_.pdf?rnd=0

2Robert Jordan Empty Re: Robert Jordan Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:24 pm

Aceviper

Aceviper
Administrator
Administrator

I finished reading the 12th book in two days. And I must say, Brandon Sanderson did a wonderful job trying to replicate Mr. Jordan's style of writing. Though there were slight noticable differences, the turn the story has taken on is so good that the minor (as good as not noticed) differences are compromisable.

I don't know how many of you have read the series, maybe you might not have enjoyed it either, but this is one of my most enjoyed series of books. I've almost read each of the books approximately 7 to 8 times each, and I'm reading them from the start again.

Of course, I just found the ebook for the heck of it. I've actually bought all the 13 books from Crossword. They had this deadly sale two years ago, selling three books for the price of two. Of course, this unfortunately also means that his books weren't selling well here. But I have noticed that no one will buy books unless the books are mentioned in a newpaper, or they have something some was cross over or something religiously or politically...i dunno...hurting(?). Does NO ONE experiment?

Maybe no one had heard of him before, maybe no one wanted to try putting their money into trying it. Maybe I was the only one who did. Well, I'm happy that I did - because I enjoy reading these books anyday.

3Robert Jordan Empty Re: Robert Jordan Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:54 pm

Aceviper

Aceviper
Administrator
Administrator

Dang. Those dicks at 4 shared removed the link to the ebook I put up saying its "abuse"...very much different from the MILLION other ebooks put up in other folders. Argh, if somebody wants it, they can PM me, I'll just email it to them. Its anyways just 17 mb.

4Robert Jordan Empty Re: Robert Jordan Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:38 pm

firefly

INACTIVE MEMBER!
INACTIVE MEMBER!

I've heard that RJ is good, but AMAZINGLY SLOW in his stories.. I suggest you try another great fantasy writer called G.R.R Martin.. Just as good, if not better... In the meantime, i'll find out for myself if the rumours of Jordan are true.. Very Happy

5Robert Jordan Empty Re: Robert Jordan Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:22 pm

clonic

INACTIVE MEMBER!
INACTIVE MEMBER!

I've heard that RJ is good, but AMAZINGLY SLOW in his stories..

I've heard that it's very difficult to find a power outlet under the ground. And as for G.R.R. Martin, he hasn't published a book in the ASoIaF series for four years and has pretty much come out and said he has encountered plenty of writer's block while writing the latest book.

6Robert Jordan Empty Re: Robert Jordan Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:35 pm

firefly

INACTIVE MEMBER!
INACTIVE MEMBER!

True... but the fifth book will be out soon.. he's done with it.. Very Happy
A dance with dragons will be out mostly by june... he's already posted the cover of the book and stuff...

7Robert Jordan Empty Re: Robert Jordan Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:21 pm

Aceviper

Aceviper
Administrator
Administrator

Jordan is slow - agreed, but that's because he wished to have a Series lasting nearly 18 books - which is now reduced to just 14. Plus he always elaborated on each individual in his story, so it sometimes did become a Drag - but hey! I loved all his books still.

If I say Tolkien is my Fav author, Jordan comes close behind.

Btw - which rumours?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum