AmalgaNation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AmalgaNation

A Forum For Fans of All Audio-Visual Media

Members are requested to always regularly check the "Announcements" Section.
An IRC webchat has been placed at the bottom of the portal page. Type in a name and enter. This way, you do not need a IRC client, just open the portal page. No logging into forum account needed.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The "Big Four"- Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Omkar

Omkar

Well, I am not totally familiar with all but I am hoping that you all will help in making this a comprehensive rock music thread.

Metallica:
The "Big Four"- Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Metallica
American rock band formed in 1981 after the drummer Lars Ulrich posted an ad in the local paper. Mainly a thrash metal band, its among the ones with wide global reach and large acclaim. Their album Master of Puppets is regarded as the best ever.
Their music and tunes and style are undoubtedly superb but what makes it reach the pinnacle is the vocalist. The way he sings, you feel he is munching on a chewing gum. It might sound funny but that's the only way it can be described and the effect that has on his songs, words fall short to describe it. And the way he growls, you get goosebumps. The guitarist is also a true genius(for the ones who haven't heard The Day That Never Comes, its rat poison time). The band has won 9 Grammies among several other awards.

I have listened to only two of their albums completely Death Magnetic(their latest) and Garage Inc.(1998)

My fav songs-
Garage inc: Whiskey in the jar, Tuesday's gone(both cover), So What, Astronomy and the cult one- Turn The Page.

Death Magnetic: (This album is the remedy for a f***ed up mind) The Day That Never Comes, That was just your life, My apocalypse(instrumental)

Others worth mentioning: Enter Sandman(great lyrics), The call of Ktulu(instrumental), Nothing Else Matters(the hum of the newbies to rock)

Megadeth:

The "Big Four"- Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Megadeth

Another American heavy metal band formed in 1983. Founded by Dave Mustaine after his departure from Metallica. Mostly known for their lyrics. Can't say much about the songs because I haven't listened to many. But what stands out in their songs is again the vocalist. His voice, take note, is the voice of Satan. He scares you, and I am not kidding. Listen to their romantic song 'The Hardest Part of Letting Go' from their latest album Endgame.

Any Slayer and Anthrax fans here?

http://creativelyfertile.blogspot.com/

BloodAlchemist

BloodAlchemist
Uprising Member
Uprising Member

This is beyond funny!! Not a single Metalhead....jeez. I'm a Slayer fan. Gotta get to work...I'll basically copy paste from wiki and add my own notes here and there.

SLAYER

The "Big Four"- Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax Slayer

Slayer is an American thrash metal band formed in Huntington Park, California, in 1981 by guitarists Jeff Hanneman and Kerry King. The other members are Tom Araya(vocalist and bassist) and Dave Lombardo (drummer). Slayer rose to fame with their 1986 release, Reign in Blood. Easily distinguished as God among the Big Four of Thrash.

Slayer's musical traits involve fast tremolo picking, atonal guitar solos, double bass drumming, and shouting vocals. The band's lyrics and album art, which cover topics such as serial killers, Satanism, religion and warfare, have generated album bans, delays, lawsuits and strong criticism from religious groups and the public. <---which basically means that if you are the type that likes soft cutesy sort of music, then this is NOT FOR YOU. Slayer's music is very destructive. Very raw. Very real. No fun and games but dead seriousness. They are the real deal of Thrash.

The band has received five Grammy nominations, winning two of them. <---A Slayer fan(atic) does not care about Grammies. He cares about music.

REIGN IN BLOOD(1986): The album which brought them instant stardom in the Heavy Metal universe. Filled with classics such as "Raining Blood" and "Angel of Death", this is a gem in the heart of Thrash metal. It is regarded by critics as one of the most influential and extreme thrash metal albums. In its "Greatest Metal Bands Of All Time" poll, MTV praised Slayer's "downtuned rhythms, infectious guitar licks, graphically violent lyrics and grisly artwork," which they stated "set the standard for dozens of emerging thrash bands," while "Slayer's music was directly responsible for the rise of death metal." MTV described Reign in Blood as essential listening, and the album was ranked number 7 on IGN's "Top 25 Most Influential Metal Albums." <---Nothin more to add there.

Conclusion: If the gory lyrics and destructive riffs and insanely heavy drums dont bother you or (hopefully) attracts you, then SLAYER is for you.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]