AmalgaNation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AmalgaNation

A Forum For Fans of All Audio-Visual Media

Members are requested to always regularly check the "Announcements" Section.
An IRC webchat has been placed at the bottom of the portal page. Type in a name and enter. This way, you do not need a IRC client, just open the portal page. No logging into forum account needed.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Howls Moving Castle

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Howls Moving Castle Empty Howls Moving Castle Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:39 am

kyo

kyo

Miyazaki-Ghibli again...

Eighteen-year-old Sophie, who runs her late father's hat shop, encounters the mysterious wizard Howl by chance. He takes a liking to her. This attracts the attention of the Witch of the Waste, who has been seeking Howl's heart for herself. She curses Sophie, turning her into an old woman. As the curse prevents her from telling anyone of her true form, Sophie decides to run away. Along the way, she befriends an animated scarecrow she names Turnip Head and they come across Howl's castle. Once inside, Sophie meets the fire demon Calcifer who powers the castle and recognizes that Sophie has been cursed. Calcifer offers to break the curse in exchange for Sophie's help in breaking the pact between him and Howl. When Howl appears, Sophie announces that she is the castle's new cleaning lady. As she adjusts to life in the castle, she discovers that the front door is a magic portal leading to several places. She also learns that Howl is vain and immature, and that the Witch of the Waste's vengeance is due to Howl's past behavior towards her.

All of the usual Miyazaki traits.... this time its his anti-war sentiment that is expressed in this adaptation of the novel by Diana Wynne Jones... again we have amazing backdrops and well animated mechanical gizmos.... I think its worth watching any Miyazaki-Ghibli movie just for the sheer visual extravaganza that they put on.... and without relying on the psychedelic lighting and sudden jarring cut-scenes....

2Howls Moving Castle Empty Re: Howls Moving Castle Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:30 pm

DIE HARD

DIE HARD

Ghibli's visual prowess has always been a wonder to behold. No use of CG,no flashy special effects,no slow motion and other gizmo's that big budget productions often apply...but still the rich color pallet,the fluid character animation,the detailed backgrounds..there's hardly any flaws to be found.

http://insaneanime.ning.com/

3Howls Moving Castle Empty Re: Howls Moving Castle Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:37 pm

kyo

kyo

Indeed.... I personally fee, that CG makes the anime look..... impersonal.... I guess it just goes to show I am an old school anime fan.... but I like my CG in very small doses.... if at all....

4Howls Moving Castle Empty Re: Howls Moving Castle Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:45 pm

DIE HARD

DIE HARD

Yeah..me too. Personally I feel CG animation to be artificial and sometimes unrealistic. Specially CG done wrong. Totally detracts from the viewing experience.

http://insaneanime.ning.com/

5Howls Moving Castle Empty Re: Howls Moving Castle Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:21 am

kyo

kyo

On the other hand... if a show is completely done up in CG.... it might still be better than the mishmash they usually dish out.... unless they do a spectacular job of merging the two...

6Howls Moving Castle Empty Re: Howls Moving Castle Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

a nice blend of nice genres
a must watch

7Howls Moving Castle Empty Re: Howls Moving Castle Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:52 pm

Arr0wHeaD

Arr0wHeaD
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

This is another movie that I watched mainly because it's on the top of everyone's 'Top 10' lists.

To be honest- I dislike Miyazaki's art style. I know He's the guy who pioneered the 'Anime Art' style borrowing elements from Disney and classical Japanese art and all that jazz, But I just can't enjoy the art style. It's like how some people can't watch South Park.

That said, this movie was decent enough. A bit like a disney movie at some points. And the art was a lot less 'round faced' than his usual works, so that's another plus point.

Besides all that, this movie has-

Christian Bale!
(Yes I watched the dubbed version. because Christian Bale voiced Howl and he did a pretty good job of it, I'm happy to say)

https://amalganation.forumotion.net

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]