Howls Moving Castle Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

AmalgaNation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Howls Moving Castle

4 posters

Go down

Howls Moving Castle Empty Howls Moving Castle

Post by kyo Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:39 am

Miyazaki-Ghibli again...

Eighteen-year-old Sophie, who runs her late father's hat shop, encounters the mysterious wizard Howl by chance. He takes a liking to her. This attracts the attention of the Witch of the Waste, who has been seeking Howl's heart for herself. She curses Sophie, turning her into an old woman. As the curse prevents her from telling anyone of her true form, Sophie decides to run away. Along the way, she befriends an animated scarecrow she names Turnip Head and they come across Howl's castle. Once inside, Sophie meets the fire demon Calcifer who powers the castle and recognizes that Sophie has been cursed. Calcifer offers to break the curse in exchange for Sophie's help in breaking the pact between him and Howl. When Howl appears, Sophie announces that she is the castle's new cleaning lady. As she adjusts to life in the castle, she discovers that the front door is a magic portal leading to several places. She also learns that Howl is vain and immature, and that the Witch of the Waste's vengeance is due to Howl's past behavior towards her.

All of the usual Miyazaki traits.... this time its his anti-war sentiment that is expressed in this adaptation of the novel by Diana Wynne Jones... again we have amazing backdrops and well animated mechanical gizmos.... I think its worth watching any Miyazaki-Ghibli movie just for the sheer visual extravaganza that they put on.... and without relying on the psychedelic lighting and sudden jarring cut-scenes....
kyo
kyo

Personal Message : I go where I please. I please where I go.
Male Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Howls Moving Castle Empty Re: Howls Moving Castle

Post by DIE HARD Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:30 pm

Ghibli's visual prowess has always been a wonder to behold. No use of CG,no flashy special effects,no slow motion and other gizmo's that big budget productions often apply...but still the rich color pallet,the fluid character animation,the detailed backgrounds..there's hardly any flaws to be found.
DIE HARD
DIE HARD

Personal Message : whatcha gonna do when I come for you?
Male Capricorn Posts : 205
Birthday : 1988-01-18

http://insaneanime.ning.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kyo Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:37 pm

Indeed.... I personally fee, that CG makes the anime look..... impersonal.... I guess it just goes to show I am an old school anime fan.... but I like my CG in very small doses.... if at all....
kyo
kyo

Back to top Go down

Post by DIE HARD Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:45 pm

Yeah..me too. Personally I feel CG animation to be artificial and sometimes unrealistic. Specially CG done wrong. Totally detracts from the viewing experience.
DIE HARD
DIE HARD

Personal Message : whatcha gonna do when I come for you?
Male Capricorn Posts : 205
Birthday : 1988-01-18

http://insaneanime.ning.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kyo Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:21 am

On the other hand... if a show is completely done up in CG.... it might still be better than the mishmash they usually dish out.... unless they do a spectacular job of merging the two...
kyo
kyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jin Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:55 pm

a nice blend of nice genres
a must watch
Jin
Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

Personal Message : Bored!
Male Cancer Posts : 849
Birthday : 1990-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Arr0wHeaD Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:52 pm

This is another movie that I watched mainly because it's on the top of everyone's 'Top 10' lists.

To be honest- I dislike Miyazaki's art style. I know He's the guy who pioneered the 'Anime Art' style borrowing elements from Disney and classical Japanese art and all that jazz, But I just can't enjoy the art style. It's like how some people can't watch South Park.

That said, this movie was decent enough. A bit like a disney movie at some points. And the art was a lot less 'round faced' than his usual works, so that's another plus point.

Besides all that, this movie has-

Christian Bale!
(Yes I watched the dubbed version. because Christian Bale voiced Howl and he did a pretty good job of it, I'm happy to say)
Arr0wHeaD
Arr0wHeaD
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Male Posts : 334
Location : Exploring the depths of your mind...hey...it's dark in here...

https://amalganation.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down