AmalgaNation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AmalgaNation

A Forum For Fans of All Audio-Visual Media

Members are requested to always regularly check the "Announcements" Section.
An IRC webchat has been placed at the bottom of the portal page. Type in a name and enter. This way, you do not need a IRC client, just open the portal page. No logging into forum account needed.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Basilisk

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Basilisk Empty Basilisk Fri May 22, 2009 3:29 pm

Aceviper

Aceviper
Administrator
Administrator

I just finished reading all 5 volumes of Basilisk. A beautiful story of love between two war-stricken tribes. I got a suitable Synopsis:

At the dawn of Japan's Azuchi-Momoyama period (the late 1500s) two rival clan of Ninja, the Iga Tsubagakure and Kouga Manjidani, are engaged in a bitter blood feud that has spanned for centuries. The fighting finally ends when Hattori Hanzo the 1st succeeds in forging a cease fire between the two clans by conscripting both into the service of Tokugawa Ieyasu (the man who seized power to become Shogun and form Japan's first truly stable form of centralized government). Regardless, hostilities and bad blood remain between Kouga and Iga, ensuring a tenuous co-existence at best.

Fast forward to the year 1614; Ieyasu has retired from power (although he still wields considerable influence within the government) and passed the torch to his son Hidetada. Unfortunately, a succession dispute has risen concerning which of Ieyasu's grandsons are destined to take up the reins of power when their father finally decides to step down. The various government retainers are beginning to take sides and the Tokugawa Shogunate is on the verge of tearing itself apart.

In order to solve the problem before it spirals out of control, Ieyasu orders the no hostilities pact between Kouga and Iga canceled and promptly commands each clan to send 10 of their best ninja to enter a ruthless and bloody competition of kill or be killed.
The Scroll

Each clan will represent one of the two factions supporting Ieyasu's grandsons; the names of their selected fighters recorded on two identical scrolls to be marked out in blood upon their death. The clan that slays the chosen ten of the other will be given favor for a thousand years while the grandson they represent will be pronounced the undisputed heir to the Shogunate.

But not all parties involved are willing to seek blood in the name of ancient grudges. Prior to the conflicts renewal, Kouga and Iga's two young heirs (Gennosuke and Oboro respectively) were betrothed to each other in the hopes that their union would finally dispel their clan's long-seated animosity toward each other. Forced headlong onto separate sides of a conflict they want no part of, Gennosuke and Oboro must now choose whether to kill the person they love or lead their entire clan to annihilation. Against centuries old hatred and the horrors of war, is love even capable of surviving?

Honestly, I really hoped for them to live the 'happily ever after' ending...but this ending also suits me just fine. Beautiful Story.

2Basilisk Empty Re: Basilisk Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:07 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

Our first manga tongue
ah such a good story
such mature content!
brings the old memories back to me!
Blah!

the ending wasnt that good though!

Last edited by Jin on Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

3Basilisk Empty Re: Basilisk Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:06 am

Red

Red
Complete Douchebag!
Complete Douchebag!

Jin wrote:My first manga ...

Don't you mean OUR first manga. we pooled in money to actually buy the FIRST VOLUME. it's still here.

i llike Koshirou. wind ninja dude. killer stuff man.

4Basilisk Empty Re: Basilisk Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:17 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

Very Happy
sorry dude!
editted now!
Very Happy

5Basilisk Empty Re: Basilisk Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:56 am

kyo

kyo

I actually thought the ending was good... very Shakespearian...

6Basilisk Empty Re: Basilisk Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:00 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

shakesperian?
all die
BLah!
u ruined it!

7Basilisk Empty Re: Basilisk Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:22 pm

Aceviper

Aceviper
Administrator
Administrator

Jin wrote:shakesperian?
all die
BLah!
u ruined it!

Firstly....YOU BOUGHT THE FIRST VOLUME!? HOW? WHERE? WHEN?

BTW - That IS Shakespearean ending. Romeo and Juliet! Duh!

8Basilisk Empty Re: Basilisk Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:03 am

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

Blah
its japanese
well red bought it

9Basilisk Empty Re: Basilisk Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:58 am

Red

Red
Complete Douchebag!
Complete Douchebag!

Jin wrote:well red bought it
WRONG!

I didn't buy it myself. Both Jin and I chipped in to buy this. It's kinda like collective ownership but I keep possession of it.

As to where we bought it from,.... A BOOKSTORE! A STUPID BOOKSTORE where the damn thing was lying there! Just lying there unnoticed by the IDIOTS who go there (us included).

It costs a lot too. Damn them Japs are making green ones.

When we got there there was Eternal Sabbath, Reservoir Chronicles, Basilisk School Rumble and XXXholic.
CLAMP and Shoujo were not our tastes so the choices were narrowed down to BASILISK and ETERNAL SABBATH.
We picked BASILISK after flipping through the pages and seeing a half-naked Akeginu the awesome artwork of Masaki Segawa.

We later found out that manga was available in plenty at Reliance's Mall which was not far from where we live. Still it was expensive, so we stick to DL Very Happy

10Basilisk Empty Re: Basilisk Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:11 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

well back to basilisk!
whats the story behind their granparents?

11Basilisk Empty Re: Basilisk Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:50 am

kyo

kyo

They were very much in love... until (was it Nobunaga?) set the Iga and Koga against each other... the were sorta misled and believed that they had been betrayed by each other (think Kikyo and IY)... and so all that love... instantly turned to hatred... which is sad... their deaths are also pretty tragic... and in the end it is quite evident that they still loved each other...

12Basilisk Empty Re: Basilisk Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:40 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

well after the first hattori pact they should have reunited!
guess the pride is a really controllin factor for love!
damn japanese!

13Basilisk Empty Re: Basilisk Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:18 pm

mercurial

INACTIVE MEMBER!
INACTIVE MEMBER!

i read the whole thing, but you guys bought it AWESOME

14Basilisk Empty Re: Basilisk Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:10 pm

Red

Red
Complete Douchebag!
Complete Douchebag!

[quote="mercurial"]i read the whole thing, but you

Correction!
We just bought the first volume. After that we went broke and decided to continue via Scans Very Happy

15Basilisk Empty Re: Basilisk Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:34 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

1 volume is 500 bucks, too costly. so took that as a liscence to download pirated scantalations to complete the collection.

16Basilisk Empty Re: Basilisk Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:58 am

kyo

kyo

Dunno where you looked for it... but I found some good manga in Mumbai proced quite reasonably.... Rs 300-400 range.... I forget the titles... but I remember Nodame was one... (cause I bought Vol.1 as a gift for a friend)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum