AmalgaNation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AmalgaNation

A Forum For Fans of All Audio-Visual Media

Members are requested to always regularly check the "Announcements" Section.
An IRC webchat has been placed at the bottom of the portal page. Type in a name and enter. This way, you do not need a IRC client, just open the portal page. No logging into forum account needed.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Issac Asimov

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Issac Asimov Empty Issac Asimov Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:38 pm

Aceviper

Aceviper
Administrator
Administrator

The most wondrous of ALL sci-fi writers. Someone I respect with the depths of my heart and mind and soul.

Isaac Asimov (c. January 2, 1920 – April 6, 1992), was an American author and professor of biochemistry, best known for his works of science fiction and for his popular science books. Asimov was one of the most prolific writers of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 9,000 letters and postcards. His works have been published in nine of the ten major categories of the Dewey Decimal System (the sole exception being the 100s; philosophy and psychology).

Asimov is widely considered a master of the science-fiction genre and, along with Robert A. Heinlein and Arthur C. Clarke, was considered one of the "Big Three" science-fiction writers during his lifetime. Asimov's most famous work is the Foundation Series; his other major series are the Galactic Empire series and the Robot series, both of which he later tied into the same fictional universe as the Foundation Series to create a unified "future history" for his stories much like those pioneered by Robert A. Heinlein and previously produced by Cordwainer Smith and Poul Anderson. He penned numerous short stories, among them "Nightfall", which in 1964 was voted by the Science Fiction Writers of America the best short science fiction story of all time, an accolade that many still find persuasive. Asimov wrote the Lucky Starr series of juvenile science-fiction novels using the pen name Paul French.

The prolific Asimov also wrote mysteries and fantasy, as well as a great amount of non-fiction. Most of his popularized science books explain scientific concepts in a historical way, going as far back as possible to a time when the science in question was at its simplest stage. He often provides nationalities, birth dates, and death dates for the scientists he mentions, as well as etymologies and pronunciation guides for technical terms. Examples include his Guide to Science, the three volume set Understanding Physics, Asimov's Chronology of Science and Discovery, as well as numerous works on astronomy, mathematics, the Bible, William Shakespeare's works and, of course, chemistry subjects.

Asimov was a long-time member and Vice President of Mensa International, albeit reluctantly; he described some members of that organization as "brain-proud and aggressive about their IQs", but he also stated that the only two people he had ever met who he would admit were more intelligent than himself were Marvin Minsky and Carl Sagan. He took more joy in being president of the American Humanist Association. The asteroid 5020 Asimov, a crater on the planet Mars, the magazine Asimov's Science Fiction, a Brooklyn, New York elementary school, and two different and distinctive awards are named in his honor.

2Issac Asimov Empty Re: Issac Asimov Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:42 pm

Aceviper

Aceviper
Administrator
Administrator

For a list of Asimov's books --> Click here.

3Issac Asimov Empty Re: Issac Asimov Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:59 pm

Red

Red
Complete Douchebag!
Complete Douchebag!

ASIMOV!
This guy is my favorite Science Fiction author if you don't count Arthur C Clarke. Heck, I like him a hell lot more than I like Clarke. Asimov was the reason I was interested in theoretical physics (sorry Gordon Freeman, I had Asimov in my bookshelf before I first played Half-Life).

He even inspired me to write my own science fiction short story.... the original manuscript (HAHAHHA manuscript ROFLMAO) ehm,.... ".doc" file.... of which is lost beyond any chance of recovery. As pathetic as it was, it was my first literary work if you don't count the poem;
Roy is so sick
He sucks his own dick
His ass I always kick

... which I had written on paper and passed to the aforementioned Roy back when I was... oh-so long ago.

I've read tons of Asimov's books though I must say that it is one of my greatest regrets that I have not read any of the FOUNDATION novels. Yes, I should probably kill myself for that. Neither have I read the legendary sci-fi short called Nightfall. Which is pretty legendary by itself even thought it's just a short story. My other regret in life is that I haven't seen Dil Chahta Hai

This guy is cool in that he not only writes Sci Fi but that he wrote it so killer awesome and totally different from say,.... somebody like Clarke. The style, the narration, the whole friggin EVERYTHING was so unexplainably different. But the coolest thing about him was the SIDEBURNS! What a chick-magnet he would have been back in the days.

Issac Asimov Isaacasimov
Shall we shag now or shall we shag later?

As much as I had loved his Sci-Fi works, I loved to read his essays on subjects ranging from Magic, Literature, Anti-Matter and Pulsars. There was always this not-so-scientific-that-laymen-could-understand air about them. So much so that I had a pretty decent idea about leptons and hadrons back when I was still in the 8th class. And I used to hate physics (the shit they teach at school) so it was a damn frikkin gift he had.

Oh yeah he also coined the term "Robotics" and was the father of the Laws of Robotics. Kinda heavy those are. Killer really.
Honda had named one of them man-robots.... what'd you call 'em? Androids? Yeah, them robots,... Honda has a range of robot dudes named ASIMO in honor of the dude. Though they forgot to put sideburns and a "V" on them. No matter, they're pretty popular with robot-chicks as they are.

Issac Asimov Tomorrowlandrobotwalkinw
Yeah Baby!

I used to love his Multi-Vac short stories. George and Azazel stories of his were also kinda different coz you can't put them under pure Sci-Fi. It's got this Magic/Highly Advanced Science thingy that he writes in his essays. Damn I miss the old days. *cries* The guy was a frikkin genius *blows nose into tissue*

Someday I'll be famous like him.
Someday I'll have sideburns like him.
Someday...

4Issac Asimov Empty Re: Issac Asimov Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:54 pm

Omkar

Omkar

@Redwolf: I would love to read that poem someday Wink

I have mostly heard of Asimov only through Arrow's ravings. I read one or two stories from iRobot. Pretty nice, they were. But sadly, that's all I know of this guy Sad

http://creativelyfertile.blogspot.com/

5Issac Asimov Empty Re: Issac Asimov Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:09 am

Aceviper

Aceviper
Administrator
Administrator

@ Omkar - I have a bunch of his books. I could lend you some.....once we meet each other, and I gauge your book skills. xD

6Issac Asimov Empty Re: Issac Asimov Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:54 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

i robot was pretty nice
havent read much of his works

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum