AmalgaNation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AmalgaNation

A Forum For Fans of All Audio-Visual Media

Members are requested to always regularly check the "Announcements" Section.
An IRC webchat has been placed at the bottom of the portal page. Type in a name and enter. This way, you do not need a IRC client, just open the portal page. No logging into forum account needed.

You are not connected. Please login or register

whaddaya think about God

+13
clonic
Wolfman
Ankita
Artemis93
kyo
Kahoko_25
yuki
Ampitup
Red
Arr0wHeaD
Rukawa_Kaede
Jin
Omkar
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1whaddaya think about God Empty whaddaya think about God Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:59 pm

Omkar

Omkar

serious debate guys. last week our professor was explaining some stuff about the caste system and the domination of higher class when we he cited this Einstein's quote
"God is human weakness."
that really makes sense to me. it didn't exactly turn me into an atheist immediately but somehow i trod, for some time, on the road of agnosticism. earlier, i must confess, i was a believer not because of faith, but because of sense. coz if there's someone who can kick your ass and that too hard, its Him/Her. so why not be on the safer side? what's the harm anyway? that was what my perspective was.
what do you guys think?

http://creativelyfertile.blogspot.com/

2whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:35 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

omkardaone wrote:Einstein's quote
"God is human weakness."
Einstein was wrong

3whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:29 pm

Rukawa_Kaede

Rukawa_Kaede

I think God is a dude up there who you can blame when things go wrong.And every once in a while praise when everythings good so that he doesn't hit you with a thunderbolt.

4whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:49 pm

Rukawa_Kaede

Rukawa_Kaede

Jin wrote:
Rukawa_Kaede wrote:I think God is a dude up there who you can blame when things go wrong.And every once in a while praise when everythings good so that he doesn't hit you with a thunderbolt.
zeus?
Yeah Zeus...but Indra also has thunderbolt power to right?

5whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:30 pm

Arr0wHeaD

Arr0wHeaD
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

God is kinda like a dude playing a game...that's a really advanced version of Sim City, combined with The Sims, mixed in with Spore.

Basically he set things in motion and watched us evolve from formless cytoplasm to the slack jawed bunch of idiots we are today.

On the way, he decided he felt like making things interesting, so he introduced floods, earthquakes, famine, war, alien abduction, etc.

And the Apocalypse will occur when he gets bored and uninstalls it.

Simple.

https://amalganation.forumotion.net

6whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Omkar

Omkar

Rukawa_Kaede wrote:
Yeah Zeus...but Indra also has thunderbolt power to right?
uhh, what?? thunderbolt power? we are talking about GAWD, people, not pikachu!
@arrow: interesting viewpoint you got there!
but the discussion is acquiring a lighter note. i want to know whether or not you believe in him, not your definition about god.

7whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:29 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

y explain ones belief?
is it to prove its superior?
is that necesaaryy?

8whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:01 am

Red

Red
Complete Douchebag!
Complete Douchebag!

Why the heck is there a "GOD-debate" all of a sudden?
I'm not saying that this is lame.... but it is pointless... unless of course you want people to share their respective personal views on the G-Man(or "science" for the atheists).
Atheists will continue to be atheists and assholes will ALWAYS be assholes. Nobody can change that except themselves.

I'm catholic and I'm a believer... I guess you can blame it on my upbringing but I like it this way. The Da Vinci Code didn't change it and neither did Richard Dawkins.
I like my faith's perception of God and I accept it to be true.
END

9whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:04 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

i repeat my statement

10whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:20 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

y explain ones belief?
is it to prove its superior?
is that necesaaryy?

11whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:26 pm

Ampitup

Ampitup

Jin wrote:
Einstein was wrong

Einstein is dead

Arr0wHeaD wrote:
slack jawed bunch of idiots we are today.

We?? as in Vendetta. Wait! that's 'V' silent

I agree with RedWOLF. I believe in God as well and No one can change my perception of God.

12whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:40 am

yuki

yuki

someone/something that some people believe in? ~_~ well..its different for everyone so a general explanation would be kinda difficult..

13whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:24 am

Ampitup

Ampitup

God must surely being enjoying this one Razz

14whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:30 pm

Omkar

Omkar

Jin, don't call this debate pointless. just because you believe doesn't mean you can scrap the debate. there are plenty of atheists and agnostics out there.
the reason why i pointed out Einstein's statement is because it concise-s up a fact(?). as our Socio prof quoted, there are 3 kinds of people in the world
1. ones who believe in god
2. those who don't
3. those who are too dumb or least bothered to think about their belief
1 and 2 categories scrape through life pretty easily because of their unwavering belief. even if bad things happen, 1 would consider it as ill period ongoing in life(like for hindus, sadesati- a shitty period in everyone's life that goes on for 7 years), but NOT blame in God or even if they do, they go 'everything happens for good. so maybe its His/Her way of making things nicer for me' while 2 puts it as circumstances happened that couldn't be helped. the people who find themselves in shit are category no. 3.
and these form the majority.
during nice period, they wanna take the credit and pat their own back. when shit happens, GAWD, PULEEZ SAVE ME! note that during nice period, they are many-a-times atheists(a believer will say SAB BHAGWAAN KI DEN HAI) and immediately turn coat in weakness. why? because they don't wanna shoulder a blame or take on a challenge.
for believers: you wanna believe, no harm. but if you hadn't done all those holy rituals and not chanted those sacred verses, things would probably have been the same. after all, most things you want to make happen are dependent on humans and human interactions. how many times have you prayed and averted a meteor striking earth(an example i can illustrate of being out of human hands)? the only sad part is you can't turn back time and crosscheck.
for non-believers: maybe there do exist some such forces. there's a lot of inexplicable phenomena going on around, huh? maybe, if you would've chanted the sacred mantras and rituals, things might have been different in your life. again, sadly, we can't verify.
NOW argue, guys Very Happy

15whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:22 pm

Red

Red
Complete Douchebag!
Complete Douchebag!

omkardaone wrote:NOW argue, guys Very Happy

Well, isn't that all of the possible arguments anyone can ever make on this topic? Isn't the discussion already over?
I'm VERY sure everyone agrees with ALL of the views. (prove me wrong, guys Razz)

So, I guess this thread is useless after all, eh? lol

16whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:10 am

Kahoko_25

Kahoko_25

yes, i beleive in god.
and i totally agreee to ampitup..
my perseption of god won't ever change..

17whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:46 pm

kyo

kyo

Meh... All I have to say is that there is a difference between believing in God and being religious... A religious person is by default a believer in God (by whatever name)... but a believer may not necessarily be religious...

I believe in God... but I am not as religious as my parents or grandparents... but I think of God in both good times and bad...

My friends all think I am odd because of my perception of religion... while I am a Hindu... I dont believe that our percepts and belief systems are the only way to... err... reach God (?)... I think that the other religions are equally valid...

In a sense... what I really believe, is that there is a higher power... one beyond our understanding... and that all that religions do is provide a kind of prism for us to look through and attempt to make some sense of it... to 'reach' God...

A very crude analogy would be the cellphones of different makes which all serve the same purpose of connecting people to each other... I guess the models will be analogous to the different sects....

18whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:18 am

yuki

yuki

kyo wrote:Meh... All I have to say is that there is a difference between believing in God and being religious... A religious person is by default a believer in God (by whatever name)... but a believer may not necessarily be religious...

I believe in God... but I am not as religious as my parents or grandparents... but I think of God in both good times and bad...

My friends all think I am odd because of my perception of religion... while I am a Hindu... I dont believe that our percepts and belief systems are the only way to... err... reach God (?)... I think that the other religions are equally valid...

In a sense... what I really believe, is that there is a higher power... one beyond our understanding... and that all that religions do is provide a kind of prism for us to look through and attempt to make some sense of it... to 'reach' God...

A very crude analogy would be the cellphones of different makes which all serve the same purpose of connecting people to each other... I guess the models will be analogous to the different sects....

*applause whaddaya think about God 384827 kyo, u got it.

19whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:37 pm

Omkar

Omkar

Reading all this, I would really like to know from you all Believers- Have any of you had something you would dare to call 'divine intervention', something that makes you believe in the Supreme Being's existence? I mean, I remember some lame things I used to call God's role like once me and my family went to visit a holy shrine some 330 km away from our place. We had gone there by car which had an LPG mode to it. We drove all the way without the cylinder getting exhausted when usually it went on for max 250 km even on a highway. We called it God's grace and the unadulterated faith each one of us had that made this 'miracle' possible.
The point of illustrating this is I am NOT looking for such instances! So anyone Question

20whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:58 pm

Artemis93

Artemis93
Uprising Member
Uprising Member

Frankly, I dont need a "divine intervention" to make myself believe in God's existence o.o

21whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:22 pm

Arr0wHeaD

Arr0wHeaD
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

omkardaone wrote:
"God is human weakness."
Not quite right. Human obsession with God is what makes problems.

https://amalganation.forumotion.net

22whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:15 am

kyo

kyo

Dunno if this counts... I was driving in Mumbai once and I was about to overtake this car on a very tiny street... just when I pulled into the next lane I was a Tata Sumo heading toward me from the opposite direction... it was too late to go back into the other lane since I was already right next to the car I was overtaking.... I literally let go of the wheel, closed my eyes and braced for impact... 2 seconds later I was somehow in the clear, as was the Sumo... To this day I have no idea how that happened.... Divine intervention? I would like to think so.... but really.... I dont actually need such instances to reinforce/validate my belief...

23whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:38 pm

Ankita

Uprising Member
Uprising Member

God... exists or not??? Yes he does... if he doesn't, then why is it that when you don't do what you know is right, things go against you? When all your options seem to be closed, you get this thin ray of hope out of the blue... When you think no one cares, suddenly this really old friend ends up calling... When you fall down or get stuck bad, your cell shows 'Mummy calling'... Too much for a co-incidence, right? Happens to all of us... Goes to show someone up there really keeps an eye on us...
N most importantly, when u close your eyes and honestly pray, why do you get a new strength that makes u feel u can tackle just any problem?
That's God... He's not some bloke sitting upstairs... He's within all of us!!

24whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:26 pm

Omkar

Omkar

Sincere declaration: Dear God, what I am writing is just was argument's
sake. This has got nothing to do with my wavering faith and double
standards. Please don't kick my ass.

Ankita wrote:..if he doesn't, then why is it that when you don't do what you know is right, things go against you?

They do? I refuse to believe. Take a simple case of lying. Have you been caught every time? If yes, wow, being you must suck Razz
In my childhood, I remember I used to sneak 25 or 50 paise from my Mum's purse and use it to buy chocolates- Rajmalai, to be more specific. (My boldest 'robbery'- 2 rupees!) Nobody found out about this. Only a few years ago when I told my mom, I remember the surprise evident on her face.

Ankita wrote: When all your options seem to be closed, you get this thin ray of hope out of the blue... When you think no one cares, suddenly this really old friend ends up calling... When you fall down or get stuck bad, your cell shows 'Mummy calling'... Too much for a co-incidence, right? Happens to all of us... Goes to show someone up there really keeps an eye on us...
N most importantly, when u close your eyes and honestly pray, why do you get a new strength that makes u feel u can tackle just any problem?
That's God... He's not some bloke sitting upstairs... He's within all of us!!

Doesn't happen every time, does it? And just because it doesn't, that's why when it happens, its called coincidence.
The reason why we believe is because we want to. We are inherently insecure and want a guardian angel. Nothing wrong with that though, it helps us be confident.

I must confess this though, the last time I felt there does exist a bloke up there is when I couldn't get admission anywhere for BMM. Ankita, two of your mentioned thinks happened- old friend called up+thin ray outta the blue. I remember me being all teary eyed when an old school friend called me up after ages. He didn't talk anything about himself but all he did was told me about a college very near to my place that offered my course and a sure-shot admission. I never knew about this college and this guy never knew I wanted to do BMM. Even he didn't want to do that but just had this info. All he did was told me about it and hung up.
Next day, he came at my place, took me there, helped me in procuring a delayed admission form and dropped me back home- all selflessly. Its because of this guy that I didn't have to take a drop.
That was when my faith was reinstated in the divine.

25whaddaya think about God Empty Re: whaddaya think about God Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:19 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

Finding god is simillar to finding the value of 1/0

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum