AmalgaNation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AmalgaNation

A Forum For Fans of All Audio-Visual Media

Members are requested to always regularly check the "Announcements" Section.
An IRC webchat has been placed at the bottom of the portal page. Type in a name and enter. This way, you do not need a IRC client, just open the portal page. No logging into forum account needed.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Neon Genesis Evangelion

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Neon Genesis Evangelion Empty Neon Genesis Evangelion Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:53 pm

Aceviper

Aceviper
Administrator
Administrator

In 2000 A.D., a top-secret encounter between an Antarctic expedition and an entity known as an 'Angel' triggered a global catastrophe. The year is now 2015 and the Angels have returned. Shinji Ikari, a 14-year-old child of the new Earth, is summoned by his long-estranged father Gendo to an underground city underneath Tokyo-3, where the United Nations research organization known as NERV is stationed. To match the fearsome power of the Angels, NERV has constructed a biomechanical weapon named 'Evangelion' - a terrifying monster that young Shinji is destined to pilot.

A good manga to read and enjoy. Not silly mecha fights but sensible ones.

Neon Genesis Evangelion Pd1472

2Neon Genesis Evangelion Empty Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:02 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

red's one favs
dunno y he hasnt posted here yet

3Neon Genesis Evangelion Empty Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:52 am

kyo

kyo

Too much angst for me... the kid and his dad and the whole shibang just does not gel with me... I am all for apocalyptic type anime (Sai Kano etc...)... but this one didnt get me at all... come to think of it.. I thought that Brain Powered was only marginally better... perhaps I am just missing something??

4Neon Genesis Evangelion Empty Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:19 am

Red

Red
Complete Douchebag!
Complete Douchebag!

kyo wrote:Too much angst for me... the kid and his dad and the whole shibang just does not gel with me... I am all for apocalyptic type anime (Sai Kano etc...)... but this one didnt get me at all... come to think of it.. I thought that Brain Powered was only marginally better... perhaps I am just missing something??

[The following could be as ridiculous as the DBZ movie because I'm not sure where I read all this from]

NGE was one of those very few titles that were anime first and then manga.
Though it's basically a mecha with a good plot, it is somehow much deeper than that. It's highly philosophical (Don't ask. I was told this.). Everything in it is a symbol or has a symbolic importance. Some say that it's all Kabbalah. Ever noticed the system sephiroticum in Gendo Ikari's office room? That's pretty Kabbalistic so I guess the rumor isn't all rubbish.

NGE is something I don't quite understand. There are a million questions that'll remain unanswered and the things that they do reveal will raise even more questions. For some weird reason, I like things I don't quite understand. I've said this before haven't I? I got the story of the series, ok, done that, but there's still the symbolic BS remaining that I am yet to truly understand in it's entirety.

Spoiler:

The story and the ending, especially the ending of NGE is very depressing. I'm sure we have no difference of opinion there.

But this was highly uncommon in it's days. Mangakkas and anyone and everyone in the industry were totally outraged. Manga/anime were, till then, always packaged with happy endings. NGE was new in that it had a different approach, ie, to give a sad or a depressing look at our possible future. This pissed off a lot of people and as a response mecha anime that have a similar plot were made (BRAIN POWERED) but with a much happier ending/setting. There was more than one, but I only remember BRAIN POWERED. Sure their futures were desolate and colorless but the stories give hope for a better world, which was very much unlike NGE which accepts it's doom and sits there waiting for it.

Onto my views; I loved NGE. I loved everything about it. The characters(Rei Ayanami), the giant EVA robots, the LCL liquid, Rei Ayanami, Gendo Ikari's Beard, Rei Ayanami and Rei Ayanami.

Neon Genesis Evangelion Gendoujustasplanned
Isn't he just awesome?

During the NGE days, I was so taken with Gendo Ikari's beard that I wanted it bad. Check out my FaceBook profile picture to know what I'm talking about. Didn't shave for 3 months. 3 months!

I must say that all characters in NGE were really great. Right from Ryoji to Pen-Pen(that's a cute little penguin). Well made and unique.

But the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear "Neon Genesis Evangelion" is Rei Ayanami. Yes, I'm in love. While the red-headed witch Asuka Langley with her flashy EVA maneuvers and bad-girl attitude won fan-hearts, Rei was still my favourite. Calm and quiet but determined to serve the commander. Some day 'll marry that girl. Oh, I just know it.

Neon Genesis Evangelion Reiayanamicd
Isn't she just adorable?

Come to think of it, her name's "REI" and mine is "RED". See, that's proof enough that she's meant to be mine.

Spoiler:

Jin wrote:red's one favs
dunno y he hasnt posted here yet
Hey, better late than never.

5Neon Genesis Evangelion Empty Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:36 am

kyo

kyo

Rei was probably the only reason I watched this series all the way through.... Shinji was a dork... Asuka was too wrapped up in herself... Gendo was ok.... I know its a cult favorite and all time hit and whatnot... but didnt work for me... objectively its a 9/10 with a good story (somewhat confusing... so stay focused...) and animation (esp the remastered ones)... good VA's and all that sort of thing.... personally... no more than 7/10... if that.... likely lower....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum