AmalgaNation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AmalgaNation

A Forum For Fans of All Audio-Visual Media

Members are requested to always regularly check the "Announcements" Section.
An IRC webchat has been placed at the bottom of the portal page. Type in a name and enter. This way, you do not need a IRC client, just open the portal page. No logging into forum account needed.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rashomon

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rashomon Empty Rashomon Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:16 pm

Omkar

Omkar

A 1950 movie. An honorary Academy award winner and an inspiration for numerous thrillers and suspense novels/movies. A very visible resemblance can be noted in Vantage Point. The reason why I want to share this with you is coz we got here a lot of unconventional movie lovers (Red, Kyo) who would love to see such quirkiness. I don't have much time so I'll just put some stuff directly from my assignment.

Plotline-

The narrative progresses through four different variations of the same set of events from the perspective of 3 people involved in the actual happenings and a fourth one- a bystander. The story is related and recounted by a woodcutter and a priest to a vagabond inside when they are stranded inside the temple of Rashomon. The events consist of a tragedy that befell on a samurai and his wife when they were ravaged on by a dreaded bandit named Tajumaro, who rapes the wife, the samurai husband is killed but in the end the woman manages to escape while the bandit is held.

Style of narrative-

The narrative consists of four perspectives-
1. The bandit.
2. The wife of the samurai.
3. The dead samurai through the medium of Miko, a female shaman.
4. The woodcutter.

Each of the stories has their own set of merits and inconsistencies. The bottom-line of the movie is how reality is modified by selfish motives.

Highlight of the movie: You never know what is the true story and every possible version can be debated upon.

This flick is a must watch. And if you already have, feel free to debate here. I'm posting a version (in spoiler format, of course) that I think is what actually happened.

Spoiler:

http://creativelyfertile.blogspot.com/

2Rashomon Empty Re: Rashomon Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:08 pm

Red

Red
Complete Douchebag!
Complete Douchebag!

Kurosawa sensei!!!!!
I haven't watched the movie yet. I'm never that free these days. Poor old DVD gathering dust... =(

But here's an almost insignificant piece of trivia I got from someplace (IMDB I think)
During the filming of the movie one day, Kurosawa-sama was approached in the set by an angry mob of actors from the movie. They complained that the script was confusing and made no sense to them.

Nice of you to write an article about it here, Omkar.
+1 Rep for you.

And I'll read the spoiler thingy after I watch it.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum