AmalgaNation

A Forum For Fans of All Audio-Visual Media

Members are requested to always regularly check the "Announcements" Section.
An IRC webchat has been placed at the bottom of the portal page. Type in a name and enter. This way, you do not need a IRC client, just open the portal page. No logging into forum account needed.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Road movie

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Road movie Empty Road movie on Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:43 am

Omkar

Omkar
And thus it begins again! Just as my madness for Kaminey had subsided, bang comes another that promises me to drive nuts just like Dev D and Kaminey did. This time, its called "Road, movie".

Starring Abhay Deol and Satish Kaushik(a famous theatre actor, whom people might mostly recognize as a sidekick in many comedy movies), this is directed by the acclaimed personality Dev Benegal. All I knew about this movie was it was screened at Toranto film festival and was much raved about there. But then also knowing the hard fact that its not that hard to get a film screened at any film festival (you pay up, you strut your stuff. That your film got a standing ovation will be reported by every possible newspaper in India, so don't worry about that.) I wasn't that keen about it.

And that was when I stumbled on this film's trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA-r7zrk5m8

By the director's filmography, this one promises to be another art-house venture but an endearingly innovative one at that. This has a Dor the movie and Alchemist the novel kinda feel to it but I might say this mostly because both are set in desert. The initial background music reminded me of the one in Blood Diamond climax. Since I am ignorant, I'll let Wiki speak on the plot:

Vishnu (Abhay Deol), a restless young man, itches to escape his father's faltering hair oil business.

An old truck beckons, which, Vishnu sees as his ticket to freedom. He offers to drive the antique Chevy across the desert to the sea, where it has been sold to a local museum. As he sets off across the harsh terrain of desert India, he discovers he's not merely transporting a battered vehicle but an old touring cinema.

Along the way, Vishnu reluctantly picks up a young runaway (Mohammed Faizal Usmani), a wandering old entertainer (Satish Kaushik) and a striking gypsy woman (Tannishtha Chatterjee - Brick Lane). Together they roam in the barren land, searching for water and an elusive fair. The journey turns dire when they are waylaid by corrupt cops and a notorious water lord.

The key to their freedom is the eccentric collection of films and the two forty-year-old film projectors in the back of the truck. As in '1001 Nights', if the films are good, they live and move on. If the films are boring, they face death in the outback.

The journey proves transformative for each of the travelers, but especially for Vishnu who discovers life, love and laughter on the Indian highway.

As I read a movie review on Road(yes, its already a finished product. Dunno why they are still holding back this gem), a critic says "The one complaint I have against Dev Benegal's Road, Movie is that it ends in 95 minutes. How I wished this road journey had continued for another hour."

Watch the trailer. I am sure you'll nod too.

http://creativelyfertile.blogspot.com/

2Road movie Empty Re: Road movie on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:08 pm

Red

Red
Complete Douchebag!
Complete Douchebag!

Hey!
Cool!
Sounds pretty damn AWESOME!

I sure wanna check this out when it hits the screens.
*...waiting...*

I'm not implying anything but merely pointing out the futility of your posts!

Road movie Nunchaku

"How art thou fallen from Amalga, oh R3dW0Lf?"

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum