AmalgaNation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AmalgaNation

A Forum For Fans of All Audio-Visual Media

Members are requested to always regularly check the "Announcements" Section.
An IRC webchat has been placed at the bottom of the portal page. Type in a name and enter. This way, you do not need a IRC client, just open the portal page. No logging into forum account needed.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ponyo

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ponyo Empty Ponyo Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:15 am

kyo

kyo

I have never seen even a single one of Miyazakis works in a theatre before... not a one... and so I took the opportunity to see this on in the theatre (English Dubs of course) just yesterday....

Miyazaki did not disappoint... as always there were amazing landscapes... beautifully detailed and very imaginative... The story was simple and straightforward... one could call it a new twist to the story of the little mermaid... but that would not be entirely accurate.... in any case, I found the ending to be just a little weak... maybe it was because of the dubs (somethig lost or perhaps overemphasized in translation), but the lead up to it made me feel like I was about to see something very dramatic, but ended up with something... well... less dramatic...

If you have see his other movies, all the characters in the movie will seem very familiar... even if you cant remember which other characters in the other movies look like them... there are also a few scenes reminiscent of his other works, a scene similar to one from Spirited Away and one bearing similarities to Porco Rosso...

As always Miyazaki leans towards environmental themes and the character of Ponyos father (shown to be a sea spirit or something along those lines) is often seen to be lamenting how wasteful humans are and how many resources they take from the sea while only giving back garbage... the potential dangers of Global warming and altering the balance of nature are also illustrated in the movie (you will see that towards the end)...

All in all it was a wonderful experience... definitely worth a watch... perhaps the subs would be better though.... I dunno if this will come to theatres in India... but if it does... go for it... after seeing this one I am greatly lamenting hte fact that I might never be able to watch works like Porco Rosso, Howls Moving Castle, Spirited Away and Howls Moving Castle on the big screen...

Last edited by kyo on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

2Ponyo Empty Re: Ponyo Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:35 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

a nice anime for all ages
whole class enjoyed it when sensei aired it!

3Ponyo Empty Re: Ponyo Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:13 am

kyo

kyo

So you got to see it on a projector or something? Awesome!

4Ponyo Empty Re: Ponyo Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:02 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

well yup
but aint that big
still the sound is brilliant

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum