AmalgaNation

A Forum For Fans of All Audio-Visual Media

Members are requested to always regularly check the "Announcements" Section.
An IRC webchat has been placed at the bottom of the portal page. Type in a name and enter. This way, you do not need a IRC client, just open the portal page. No logging into forum account needed.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Great Teacher Onizuka [GTO]

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Great Teacher Onizuka [GTO] on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:19 pm

Plot Summary: Onizuka is an ex-biker and gang leader who has one goal, to become the greatest teacher. He learns of the power and respect possible as an intern teacher, using his strength and connections to get his students to respect him. Now, graduated, he gets a job at a prestigious private school to handle their 'problem class' that made the past few teachers quit. He must handle a different sort of trouble when the trouble makers include some of the smartest kids in Japan who prefer a more cerebral approach to torturing their teacher. Onizuka must slowly win his students over and deal with their mistrust of teachers while handling the distrust of his fellow teachers.

When i saw the first episode [which starts with a panty shot] i felt ...WTF ?? Kyo gave me this trash...i told him that i hate ecchi ...so why would he do that..realizing that I couldn't do anything except to watch this anime [as i had already downloaded 5gb] ...i started watching it..And now i feel that i did the right thing because it more than ecchi and stuff..Thanks KYO..Your recos are the best.

2 Re: Great Teacher Onizuka [GTO] on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:52 pm

STORY
Great Teacher Onizuka is the story of Onizuka, a 22 year old , ex-biker's gang member who decides to be a teacher because he wants to gaze at High-school girls. Through a series of fairly hilarious events, Onizuka manages to land a job at a prestigious academy, but there's one catch: he'll be teaching the worst ,problematic class, full of junior high students. The students aren't up for accepting Onizuka as their new homeroom teacher and mentor, and with that, the story begins...

The first and most important arc deals with Onizuka straightening the students out, for the most part. He has to overcome obstacles (his character being defamed and other such acts), and eventually has to win the students over one by one. This arc continues pretty much throughout the entire show, but is the strongest in the first bunch of episodes. Other arcs are smaller and definitely not as intense or dramatic .
The humor was an important part of the series. Though there was plot, one of the main points of GTO was that it's funny and random. The weird facial expressions and the scenes where Onizuka thinks of all the pervert acts in his mind were what made the humor funny most of the time.The problem I had with GTO was definitely the unfulfilling ending. No spoilers but it has one of the worst endings of all time.

The character development was superb and wonderfully scripted for almost all of the characters in the story. Also, the overall plot arc definitely did have a rewarding ending, and was positive each time something was resolved. You do appreciate Onizuka and his wacky yet effective teaching style.Another thing to note that people might enjoy is the large amount of ecchi. I'm not a big fan of ecchi, but those who are will enjoy GTO. Most of it revolves pervert-ism in some way.

ANIMATION

Visually, GTO is nothing to smile at. The animation looks older and crude, with not a lot of detail. Colors are drab, not vibrant, and uninspiring. There was one saving grace to the animation: the facial expressions. Onizuka in particular has ape-like grimaces that look completely out of the box and ridiculous, which just helps add to the humor. You might hear someone lecturing Onizuka, with Onizuka standing there with this gaping grotesque expression. So funny.

Last edited by blackflame on Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

3 Re: Great Teacher Onizuka [GTO] on Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:04 pm

CHARACTERS
Easily, the characters and character development were the strong point of GTO. GTO is filled with primary and secondary characters who all have a rich history and personality that we discover throughout the course of the series. Most of the primary characters had a few episodes throughout the show that helped develop them as a character, whether it was learning about their past, confronting a problem they have in the present, or in general, helping to discover why they act the way they do. Given the fact that there were 15 or so main characters, this was quite a feat, and was pulled off very well.

We were introduced to a great deal of the students, each of which had some sort of skeleton in the closet, and had a chance to grow and mature. We were shown multiple instances of situations where someone was being bullied, several budding relationships, and in general, we saw many of the students come to a realization that all teachers might not be so bad. The bullying arcs, I thought, were some of the most dramatic and emotional scenes in the series.You feel empathy towards the characters, and hate the bad guys.

In addition to the students, we also got a glimpse into the life of Onizuka's female co-worker, Fuyutsuki, and discovered why she became a teacher. Another main character is the vice principal. He was the comic relief, with his Cresta that keeps getting demolished [all thanks to the Great Teacher Onizuka] ,and his desire to finally be recognized as a good father by his wife and daughter and throw Onizuka out of the school.

And then there's Onizuka. He's a no nonsense guy who wants his students to succeed, and uses crazy methods to get them to pay attention. We learn to love Onizuka and his strange ways, because we see how much he is able to affect each and every student.In the beginning he's somewhat dense, but in general is just full of tough love and deep down, cares for his students. In general, a wonderful set of characters who developed nicely. I came to like Onizuka by the end, and so will you.

OVERALL
Great Teacher Onizuka wasn't a bad series by any means. It was funny. The character development was also great. The animation was fairly average. It's funny at times, charming, and even sentimental so its a decent anime deserving a 8. It's good, but not that good.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum