AmalgaNation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AmalgaNation

A Forum For Fans of All Audio-Visual Media

Members are requested to always regularly check the "Announcements" Section.
An IRC webchat has been placed at the bottom of the portal page. Type in a name and enter. This way, you do not need a IRC client, just open the portal page. No logging into forum account needed.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Shawshank Redemption

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Shawshank Redemption Empty The Shawshank Redemption Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:31 am

kyo

kyo

This could be my all time favorite movie across all genre and languages... well... I say that... but there are some which come pretty close... But... in short I cant imagine people not liking this movie...

Stars: Tim Robbins at his best... and then theres the brilliant Morgan Freeman... Supporting cast also does a brilliant job...

Plot: Simple, but with a fitting twist... I will try not to give away anything (in case there are those who have not seen it)... Tim Robbins is cast as Andy Dufrane, a banker accused of murdering his wife and her lover in cold blood... convicted to serve a life sentence, he arrives at Shawshank prison with the other 'new fish' (as the inmates refer to all the newcomers)... Morgan Freeman (Red) can be seen taking bets as to which of the newcomers would break down crying first on their first night... and he bets on Dufrane... Dufrane proves him wrong... does not make a sound... Red and Dufrane grow to be friends later as they serve thier many years in prison together... the story follows Andys daily struggles as he tries to adapt to life in prison and find ways to occupy his time... To add to the mix we have the sadistic homosexuals, corrupt guards and warden, and other, friendlier prisoners... (friends of Red/Freeman)...

One of my favorite scenes is when Robbins and Freeman have their first conversation in prison...

I would give it 10/10, but I am of the opinion that there could always be something done better...

9.7/10 (Already have the DVD!)

Last edited by kyo on Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total

2The Shawshank Redemption Empty Re: The Shawshank Redemption Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:16 pm

Omkar

Omkar

totally agreed. one of the best all time (imdb rates it as THE best though). and you know what's the best part of the movie- it differs from the book in some scenes and those scenes aren't modification of events but addition. like the scene in which some fatso newbie is lynched to death. such scenes take movie to another level altogether. the extremely simplistic style of movie-making, bereft of any deliberate attempt of incorporating 'ishtyle', solely relying on plot and performances is what is striking.
my fav scene- the part in which Andy wins his friends bottles of beer and the post release life of their inmate librarian friend scene. incredibly moving.

http://creativelyfertile.blogspot.com/

3The Shawshank Redemption Empty Re: The Shawshank Redemption Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:19 am

kyo

kyo

Freemans narration really added a lot to the movie as well... and the Director blended the narration in very well...

4The Shawshank Redemption Empty Re: The Shawshank Redemption Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:50 pm

Wolfman

Uprising Member
Uprising Member

Freeman is teh man!
Too bad I sat down to watch this movie after being informed of the ending. Had I not known the climax beforehand, I would've enjoyed the movie more. 

5The Shawshank Redemption Empty Re: The Shawshank Redemption Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:16 am

kyo

kyo

Hope it wasnt me... (who informed you of the ending)...

6The Shawshank Redemption Empty Re: The Shawshank Redemption Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:40 pm

heavealie

Uprising Member
Uprising Member

my all time fav movie-the shawshank redemption for sure.and my fav parts of the movie would be definately the beer scene and the way dufrense walks tossing that stone in his hand as if he is walking in central park.great adaptation of another great novella by stephen king(rita hayworth and shawshank redemption).please give due credit to king also i mean 99% of the dialogues are from his novella.endings of the novella and the movie is different.i would recommend you all to read the novella first.

I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying.

http://heavealie.blogspot.com/

7The Shawshank Redemption Empty Re: The Shawshank Redemption Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:50 pm

kyo

kyo

Personally I liked the movie ending better...

8The Shawshank Redemption Empty Re: The Shawshank Redemption Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:01 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

one of the best happily ever after movie

though id say count of monte cristo[book] and kalapani were much better!

9The Shawshank Redemption Empty Re: The Shawshank Redemption Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:26 am

kyo

kyo

Count of Monte Cristo was probably my favorite of the 'Classics' which I had read for literature class. But the movie didnt work as well...

Kalapaani would come under Bollywood... so I wont compare these two...

10The Shawshank Redemption Empty Re: The Shawshank Redemption Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:46 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

concept is simillar

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]