AmalgaNation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AmalgaNation

A Forum For Fans of All Audio-Visual Media

Members are requested to always regularly check the "Announcements" Section.
An IRC webchat has been placed at the bottom of the portal page. Type in a name and enter. This way, you do not need a IRC client, just open the portal page. No logging into forum account needed.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Any Michael Crichton fans?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Any Michael Crichton fans? Empty Any Michael Crichton fans? Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:06 pm

MayFlower

MayFlower

Having finished reading 7 titles by this fabulous science-fiction writer I can safely conclude his works are worthy page-turners.My personal all-time favorite Crichton work is Sphere.Parts of it definitely intrigued me.Other favorites include The Andromeda Strain,Jurassic Park,Congo,Prey(a bit of a drag in the beginning though..)
So anyone here like him?

P.S:Btw why is the intro section locked?

http://musingsofamaiden.blogspot.com/

2Any Michael Crichton fans? Empty love crichton? do i ever! Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:02 pm

Red

Red
Complete Douchebag!
Complete Douchebag!

Yeah, I love this guy! I love this guy in spite of NEVER EVER reading a single book.

My only book from this guy was Prey. I read till the part where the guy suspects his wife cheating him(not a spoiler) which is... 4 to 5 pages into the firstchapter. And that too from the school library. Heh, school. School was 7 million years ago.
Just last week, seeing an old books sale I bought Michael Crichton's Sphere and 13th Warrior(Eaters of the Dead) along with Sadhu#1(comic), Prima's STARCRAFT Stratergy Guide andStephen King's Regulators all for a measly price of Rs.225 (INR). I OWN!

I also have Andromeda Strain e-book in my iPod and I reached the 3rd chapter.
Spoiler:

Well, I was reading the "About the Author" page in one of them books and it so turns out that the dude was a doctor and practiced in the Massachusetts General Hospital(?) and his experiences there inspired him to make the hit TV series "ER". Yeah, you're damn right it's the one with George Clooney. I didn't know that Crichton made the show.

Michael Crichton along with Stephen King are two authors I totally respect but sadly never read their books. I'm fixing that. Thanks to cheap old book sales.

3Any Michael Crichton fans? Empty Re: Any Michael Crichton fans? Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:08 am

MayFlower

MayFlower

Yeah Crichton graduated from Harvard too.Later he quit practicing just to become a full-time author.And btw the guy was like 6'7 feet tall or something. :O
And apart from the hit series ER he created Jurassic Park and produced the movie.
If you have Sphere..START READING IT RIGHTAWAY.It's just plain amazing.
And no in The Andromeda Strain it's not the work of aliens.I am not going to give out any spoilers and ruin it for you.Read and find out for yourself Wink

4Any Michael Crichton fans? Empty Re: Any Michael Crichton fans? Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:55 am

kyo

kyo

Read pretty much all that Crichton has to offer... and I will say that I like his work... I am trying to think whether it was he who did 'Cujo' as well... now that was a whacked out book... but recently I am more into Grisham and Ludlum... lawyer dramas and spy stories really get me going... another one which I think was by Crichton was 'Next'... not sure about that one either... but that was good too... but I kinda lost all my respect for him when he wrote 'State of Fear'... very poorly researched... debunks Global warming as a myth and actually says that it would be useful for man even if it was happening... dont get me wrong... his references are 'correct' its just that they are either very well or very poorly selected... either way... I have lost my respect for him... My view on Global warming is that it IS happening (sorry Mr. Crichton)... and that we (as in humans) are the most likely cause of it... however, I will leave that [i.e. the question of who or what is responsible for Global warming] for the researchers to decide... and I hope he wasnt being serious when he said that it will actually be beneficial to mankind...

5Any Michael Crichton fans? Empty Re: Any Michael Crichton fans? Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:29 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

well the writings are good
but congo sucked

6Any Michael Crichton fans? Empty Re: Any Michael Crichton fans? Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:24 pm

Omkar

Omkar

kyo wrote: I am trying to think whether it was he who did 'Cujo' as well
oh no no no you got it so wrong there. cujo's by stephen king. i would differ with your opinion, cujo was 'just decent' types.

http://creativelyfertile.blogspot.com/

7Any Michael Crichton fans? Empty Re: Any Michael Crichton fans? Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:53 pm

MayFlower

MayFlower

I have neither read Next nor State of Fear.The summaries did NOT impress me that much.But if you read Sphere or The Andromeda Strain or Jurassic Park you'll surely end up being hooked to his writings.

8Any Michael Crichton fans? Empty Re: Any Michael Crichton fans? Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:00 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

jurassic park was good i remember my sister reading the story to me when i was young!
scared me to shreds!

9Any Michael Crichton fans? Empty Re: Any Michael Crichton fans? Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:00 am

kyo

kyo

Next is not bad... I actually had a friend who does bioengineering and I would discuss what I had read from the book with him quite often... I guess it was that experience which made it more entertaining for me... Stephen King is also not bad BTW... I liked Cujo... the ending was morbid... but somehow... it was fitting...read Andromeda Strain, Jurassic Park, Congo, and The Sphere all a while ago... like I said... more into Grisham and Ludlum now... You should try more of King... its not bad... currently I am reading Hoshruba... I know thats entirely unrelated to what we are discussing but I thought I would throw it out there Razz ...

10Any Michael Crichton fans? Empty Re: Any Michael Crichton fans? Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:42 pm

Jin

Jin
Heavy Contributor
Heavy Contributor

out of topic - try david baldacci u may lke it [for the above person]

11Any Michael Crichton fans? Empty Re: Any Michael Crichton fans? Thu May 27, 2010 12:47 pm

Red

Red
Complete Douchebag!
Complete Douchebag!

Well, I just finished Sphere.

Took me 4 days to read it after 1 whole year of dust gathering and neglect, but I finished it.
Quite frankly, it's good. I mean, it gets shitty just as you get into the "MONSTER" section of the book, but it's good.
It left me thinking and I love books doing that to me.

... but I kinda lost all my respect for him when he wrote 'State of Fear'... very poorly researched... debunks Global warming as a myth and actually says that it would be useful for man even if it was happening... dont get me wrong... his references are 'correct' its just that they are either very well or very poorly selected... either way... I have lost my respect for him... My view on Global warming is that it IS happening (sorry Mr. Crichton)...
Alright!
Next stop, State of Fear.
That's the kinda of thing that I need to feed the conspiracy theorist in me with.
Me likes. MWAHAHAH!

FYI: I haven't been to Antarctica and hence do not believe in Global Warming.
I don't trust Al Gore either.

Could be another trick of the "evil syndicate" to divert our attention from something bigger, something far more sinister and keep us occupied.

Well, that's what I think.

But my friend did complain a lot about it being full of graphs and charts to the point of annoyance.
Gonna try it anyways.
MWAHAHAHA!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]